OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: So how's it going wit youze guys, eh?  (Read 5838 times)

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
So how's it going wit youze guys, eh?
« on: May 06, 2018, 04:12:45 PM »
Alright, I will be the first to admit that my Yankee accent has gotten pretty rusty over the years, but I hope my northern brothers from other mothers get the gist of my question. Pennsylvania, Minnesota and Kentucky are spookily quiet right now. Your team mates and I would really love to join in a personal victory celebration with you guys. At least let us know that you haven't taken up embroidery instead of chasing the grandest game bird on earth.

Cheers  :popcorn:

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: So how's it going wit youze guys, eh?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 05:56:44 PM »
Been out every day last week but weekdays are limited to an hour or so before work. Birds gobbling every morning but only jakes are buying what I’m selling. Still have 25 days for one to screw up.

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 03:20:39 PM »
Good news and bad news. Had maybe 12 inches of beard at the end of my gun barrel this morning. 6 jakes.

Offline paintbrush

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 10:48:54 PM »
Guy's  I have 3 longbeards to post up. Nothing Big, but they should help us out I believe. One from NE.
,  1 from SD. and one from here in MN. I just got home from  my MN. hunt, so I will get everything  posted up in the next couple days.

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 06:43:22 AM »
Great news. Can't wait to see some tail feather shots.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline Sand Man

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 02:28:43 PM »
I've never seen so many henned up non-responsive birds this late in TX and OK.  I saw one bird with 12 hens.  Unreal!!!  Going to give it one more chance this weekend in TX and unless I do something crazy like go to KS I'm probably done for the season.  Haven't got to hunt much with selling and buying homes.

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

Offline cramerhunts

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 02:32:51 PM »
I'm hoping to get out one or two more times in AZ before the curtain closes. I had to cancel my Gould's trip for this year though so that one won't be happening.

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 08:31:20 AM »
 Shot a good’n this AM. Maybe 64 but will know later.

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 10:05:39 AM »
Been out every day but one and both Thursdays for work since the opener,  getting the ever loving crap kicked out of me by these birds, this weird weather and this late spring.  Henned up toms, jakes acting like they own the woods and hens nastier than an old drunk lady losing at bingo.  It's been a rough one.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2018, 11:40:31 AM »
Been out every day but one and both Thursdays for work since the opener,  getting the ever loving crap kicked out of me by these birds, this weird weather and this late spring.  Henned up toms, jakes acting like they own the woods and hens nastier than an old drunk lady losing at bingo.  It's been a rough one.
Joe, been getting the same treatment for the past 1.5 weeks.  My guess is since we had real cold weather up until 2 weeks ago, that the hens were late sitting on eggs.  Haven't seen single hens much until the last couple of days.  But this morning the 2 that I called up were both big birds.  And the one I chose to shoot has  1 1/8 spurs so I am guessing the other was not a daffy 2 year old, but have no way of knowing for sure.  This is the first morning where I have gotten a mature bird to play along.  Had called up 13 jakes up until now.  Let's hope it's starting to get good.  And don't think it will die off at the end of May.  I have had plenty of success around here in the past on May 31.  Good luck. 

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2018, 11:48:18 AM »
62.8.  Will post pictures later. 

Offline 3seasons

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2018, 02:47:35 AM »
Congrats X

Well my work has finally driven me nuts and I'm taking a week off and heading north. Me and Reid will be trying our luck in Minnesota, Wisconsin and hopeful Michigan if it all works out. Hopefully I can find one of those northern toads for an upgrade.

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2018, 10:10:58 AM »
Congrats X

Well my work has finally driven me nuts and I'm taking a week off and heading north. Me and Reid will be trying our luck in Minnesota, Wisconsin and hopeful Michigan if it all works out. Hopefully I can find one of those northern toads for an upgrade.
Go git em. 

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2018, 11:59:05 AM »
62.8.  Will post pictures later.
Short story....
Set up at a listening spot where I hadn't yet hunted this year.  Heard birds gobble on 3 different roosts but far off.  So I walked out inside the edge of a chunk of woods that has been productive a time or two and decided to get comfortable and do a little calling.  No bites.  Leaned back, relaxed and closed my eyes and enjoyed the morning.  Maybe around 7:00 there's a gobble 300 yards away but couldn't quite pinpoint it.  So I stand up to get a better sense of which direction and ended up spotting a bird out in a field.  Glassed and saw a long beard.  Looked a bit off to his left and there's another long beard.  So I yelp to see what they'll do and they cut me off and start heading my way.  1/2 hour later they still haven't showed up and they've only gobbled once or twice.  I call and nothing so I figure I'll just back out of there and head off to work.  Just as I stand up one of them gobbles again still out in the field but off to my left.  So I scoot a bit sideways just inside the tree line to get lined up with them, sit down and call.  They cut me off and come walking down the gun barrel.  Both birds were toads with the eyeball test.  Both birds were strutting.  So it was kind of eeenie meenie minie mo.  Thought he would score better just looking at his spurs but his beard was only 9.5.  Guess I gotta go find his partner again some day. 

Offline cramerhunts

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2018, 03:01:35 PM »
Sounds like a great morning! Congratulations!