OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which longbeard load in the versa max turkey?

Started by Aurora Wild, May 05, 2018, 06:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurora Wild

Hey guys.  I pulled the trigger and ordered a versamax Turkey.  I've seen some impressive patterns here with that gun and 3 1/2 inch longbeard xrs. I want to shoot 4s or 5s. I have seen some amazing patterns with 4s on here. Was wondering if you guys who have shot them could tell me if the 2 oz or 2 1/8 oz pattern better.   In theory the 2 1/8 should be better,  but I know shotguns can disprove a sound theory on occasion.

dms2511

251 in 10" circle at 40 yards with Longbeard XR's Magnums #5's using Trulock .660 with my Versamax Turkey model.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,53856.msg534268.html#msg534268

ShootingABN!

Congratulations on your new gun.

If you can shoot them both. Most Remingtons I've been around have liked #5's better.... However every gun can be different.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Catfishlee

I have only shot magnum blends and longbeard 4's in 3.5" out of mine.  I have used factory and indian creek choke.  Factory outperformed in both.  Both loads performed well so went with longbeards since cheaper.  I would love to see some various load choke combos with this gun if you have any.

Longshanks

If it helps any Michael Waddel shoots the Rem Super Full .665 Factory choke out of his Versa Max. 3" lead 5's. He kills more turkeys than anyone I know.