OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Solid wood scratchers  (Read 2814 times)

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
Solid wood scratchers
« on: May 04, 2018, 12:34:16 PM »
Who makes scratch boxes notably two siders out of a single piece of wood other then Russell beard and L&L

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline Redfish71

Re: Solid wood scratchers
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 10:09:10 PM »
I make solid two sided scratch boxes

Offline KentuckyHeadhunter

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 03:59:11 PM »
I like those Redfish71.  Nice old school style.  Several makers still produce solid body scratchboxes as well as the many vintage and antique calls were made that way.  Mike Crooks from Spring Creek makes a nice one that holds the chalk and striker in neat efficient way.  I like looking at the old ones in Mickel's books.  Those old calls probably sounded terrible but still have kill notches all up and down the sides.  The best sound a scratchbox makes is the cluck.  Usually, with discipline, that's the only sound you need.  Fortunately they are also capable of purring, yelping, kee-ing, cutting, and driving the wife crazy.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Offline Redfish71

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 09:17:58 PM »
The one piece scratch box if made correctly will sound equal to or better than most others out there. Cedar has the best sound. I have won many awards and killed many turkeys with these scratchboxes, sometimes it’s the only call I can get them to gobble to in heavy hunted areas.

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 01:38:06 PM »
Redfish71, those are beautiful! :z-winnersmiley:

Offline Redfish71

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 11:10:33 AM »
Thanks