OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Pistol scope for the h&r 10ga.  (Read 2842 times)

Offline Liljake

Pistol scope for the h&r 10ga.
« on: May 04, 2018, 09:42:35 AM »
I see some guys running pistol scopes on the Big 10
Any suggestions on one under 300 bucks?  Thanks
I Love matching wits with a bird that has a brain the size of a peanut.

Offline deadbuck

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Pistol scope for the h&r 10ga.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 11:20:52 AM »
Funny you would post this as I was just setting a 2x7 pistol scope on mine to see how it would be a few days ago. I don't think I would like it. I have a 2-7x32 Burris that is about a $279 scope, but it didn't appear to me that field of view was wide enough. I took the Bushnell red dot off a couple days ago so I might mount it all the way and try patterning it with some cheap shells and let you know.

Offline Liljake

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 12:26:26 PM »
Thanks deadbuck, I currently have the Bushnell trophy red dot the gun. I’m just concerned that it won’t handle the harsh recoil. And the 5MOA at 40 yards appears to be the size of a soccer ball.
I Love matching wits with a bird that has a brain the size of a peanut.

Offline deadbuck

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 04:38:35 PM »
It will handle the recoil, but it is not clear to me. I have a $400 Aimpoint 9000SC also and the Bushnell is a toy compared to the Aimpoint. Mounted the pistol scope and just as I suspected the field of view is way too small on 2X, and even worse if you crank up the magnification. I put a plain old simmons 3-9x40 riflescope on mine a few years ago right after I got a weaver type rail installed on my gun just for kicks and it worked fine but I was always nervous it was going to scope me even though I had about 5 inches of eye relief. I think I am going to go with a Leupold VX1 in 2-7 power range, or maybe the new Freedom2-7x33 line that Leupold has out.

Offline deadbuck

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 12:05:53 PM »
Decided to go with the Leupold 2-7x33 Freedom rimfire model that has parallax set at 50 yards. Have a set of Leupold steel rings coming too to hold it in place. Will let you know how I like it soon.