turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Box call help.

Started by EasternGobblerHunter69, May 03, 2018, 12:29:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EasternGobblerHunter69

I'm fixing to try my luck with my first box call. Any wood suggestions. I like a clear but still raspy yelp and cluck. To does anyone have any templates for side walls and how do I go about getting right radius on lid or paddle. I've researched internet and found one template but any input greatly be appreciated. Dimensions anything. I need to watch someone make one honestly.
When you quit learning from turkey hunting, your doing something wrong!

southern_leo

Go to THO call forum. Under their turkey call tutorial section there are a couple box call tutorials are are very in depth. If you can't see the pictures there's a thread that has instructions to view photobucket photos.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

EasternGobblerHunter69

doublespurs21

try custom sawing in Kentucky. they sell all the parts and pieces you will need to make a box call,,

EasternGobblerHunter69

pauld

EasternGobblerHunter69

Thank you all for the input help, I successfully made the call after about 4 unsuccessful or unhappy with tone results, but finally have one out of a walnut lid with walnut base, and butternut side rails, and walnut end blocks. My dad has a short box s local call maker made back in late 80s, I'm not even sure what the wood is the man made it from looks like walnut sorta but in a way it doesn't. Needless say he's killed over 150 Eastern Gooblers and jakes in his hunting career all legally, and with that one call he said he killed about 50% of em with it. It's just one of those that has that turkey it factor. He was offered 150$ for it but refused. The call I made sounds nearly identical to his call, thanks to you guys input on guides or tutorials and roof selection I'm very thankful for! Means slot to a fairly uoung I'm 40 year old turkey hunter! God Bless, Kirk

btschirn

Yellow poplar for the box and walnut for the lid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk