Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

One ore shot...

Started by wvmntnhick, May 02, 2018, 09:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmntnhick

Get to sneak out for a short bit in the morning. Hopefully it all comes together in a hurry cuz I won't have much time. Pool season is upon us here and trying to spend time with the family and getting my tail back in church where it belongs is limiting my time at the moment. I'd not change a thing right now tho. Fingers crossed that he comes off the roost right to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hookedspur

Yes sir good luck in the morning!!!
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Roost 1

Good luck. I'm hoping for the same thing in the morning.

wvmntnhick

Well, it's not looking too good. If it could've gone wrong, so far, it has. Get out of the truck and stand there waiting for a gobble. Bird sounds off several times near the back corner of the property. Start towards him and about 50 yards from the truck I hooted. Just checking to see if anything is closer. Walk another 50 yards and blow a long beard off the roost. He goes one way and his 4 hens go the other. I'm still thinking I'm good to go because he'll be lonely now. Get to the corner and get a hen fired up. She's right on the edge of the field and coming my way with her boyfriend about 30 yards farther back in the timber. Keep thinking it's gonna work out and about the time he should be breaking out where I could at least see him, she turns back to the woods and they walk out of my life. She's still chatting with me but they're going the wrong direction. Shortly after a 2 y/o comes by at about 40 couple yards and I never raised the gun. No idea why. That may have been my best last chance of the year.

Anyway, bird fires up from the opposite side of the road. He's talking, I'm talking and things look good. It's hard to get them to cross the road and 2 fences but they've done it before. Can tell he's coming so at least I was gonna get to see him. All of a sudden, a hen breaks free from left to right like she's scared and I've got no idea why. Until... a runner comes up the lane and it all made sense. Such is life. Still had some fun.

Roost 1

My day didn't go so well either. Called same bird into 80yds twice but no dice. His 2 hens came within 5yds but the gobbler had already drawn a line onto how far he was coming. Prolly gobbled 200 times and was still gobbling walking to the next county when i left.  Haven't seen or heard him since...

ShootingABN!

At least you was in deem birds. I haven't called one all season...

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Roost 1 on May 05, 2018, 11:54:17 PM
My day didn't go so well either. Called same bird into 80yds twice but no dice. His 2 hens came within 5yds but the gobbler had already drawn a line onto how far he was coming. Prolly gobbled 200 times and was still gobbling walking to the next county when i left.  Haven't seen or heard him since...
Some days, that stuff happens.

1iagobblergetter

Sounds like a couple of exciting hunts anyway. I love the hunts where i get ohhhhh so close to pulling the trigger then...... he has a different plan...That really gets my wheels in motion.