Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

20 Question to help a turkey hunting buddie!

Started by longbeards, May 02, 2018, 07:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longbeards

I helped a 92 year old turkey hunter get a gobbler this spring. Shooting from a blind he took what may be one of his last birds. His trusty 1100 put him on the ground with the shot,,,shooter and turkey both!!
Anyway in talking to his son we want to set him up a 20 if he can hunt next year. Don't have a lot to invest but it is about as good of reason to buy a gun as I have ever know! Anyway have read all posts and am still undecided as what gun to get but leaning towards Stoger m3020. WOULD also like to put on dot sight, not a Fast Fire as I have had bad experiences with them. Anyone mounted a Bushnell Trophy on their guns? Your 2 cents is appreciated!! I might add I pray that I am able to put the hurts on one when I am 92!!

THANKS for the help!!

Call them up close and shoot them in the face!!

longbeards

longbeards

ShootingABN!

If you are worried about recoil I'd go for a semi-auto.

Or go with a standard shell. People was killing turkeys before there was a turkey load. I remember buying a box of Winchester Double XX 25 in a box. Coper plated shot.

Go with high brass 2 3/4"..... Options...

land cruiser

I just did a ton of research for a 20 and ended up with M2

FL-Boss

Set up a simple rem 11-87 or 1100 20ga..with some  2 3/4 turkey loads. Great easy shooting gun.

What ever you do...leave off the red dot....just a bead like he has probably been shooting all his life. You start adding all the new fancy red dots, pistol grip stocks , etc..he will start missing.  keep it simple.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

CB on the run

I have a Remington 1100 20 ga with a cheap red dot on it (brand unknown).  It shoots great but of course I've had work done to it and I shoot either Fed heavyweights, heavy 13 or Nitros all in straight #7's.  I have a Savage 220a that I turned into a turkey rig also.  What about a Mossberg 20 ga?  Good luck, and hope he sees many more seasons.

tnanh

If he is in his 90s I would put a scope on it to help him see. I am 54 and a little magnification helps. A new gun that is set up will probably shoot tighter than what he is used to and it will help with that also. I have an H&R youth 20 gauge that I love hunting with. It has a 4X Simmons Pro Diamond on it. I have less than 325.00 in it counting gun, drill and tap, threaded for chokes, choke tube, and optics.