OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Grass length in field  (Read 2706 times)

Offline PaHunter8484

Grass length in field
« on: May 02, 2018, 01:16:13 PM »
I live in Pa. wondering if by late May when the season is winding down, if the grass length will make gobblers stay in the woods. Or is the grass getting taller irrelevant?  Thanks!

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
Re: Grass length in field
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 04:34:52 PM »
I hunt a couple areas...  One is ranched for cattle, and there are areas where the grass is "golf-course" short due to grazing, and the more rugged areas where the grass is a bit taller.

Another ranch I hunt is considerably larger with no cattle, and the grass can be anywhere from 1-3 feet tall.

It is my impression that the birds prefer the open areas with shorter grass...  I think they want somewhere to strutt and be seen, an area where the predators cannot easily sneak up on them, and that tall grass holds a lot of moisture, and those birds get wet walking through it.  If hunting areas with tall grass, I will frequently look for clearings in the woods where the grass is shorter and the ground more open, or near logging roads when hunting birds right off the roost.

I actually do have considerable success hunting that tall grass, but I tend to do better in the late morning or early afternoon, after the grass has dried, and after the hens have left the toms for the nests...  I like to find a rock or a stump to set up on in tall grass (to hide behind and lay the gun on).

I have also noticed that the birds tend to come in a bit more quietly in tall grass, and you have to listen for clucks/putts, or drumming rather than gobbling.

One thing I will mention, is that the shooting can be tougher in that tall grass.  When you can only see the head, it can be tough to make yourself put the bead below the birds head (basically aiming at the grass below the bird)...  I have missed exactly 2 shots at turkeys, and one was last year in the tall grass, and I shot above him (only on the first shot though ;D).  Know where your gun shoots, and know where to put that bead, when all you can see is that red head poking up...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 08:21:29 PM by Marc »
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline PaHunter8484

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 05:49:05 PM »
Appreciate the answer.  That too is what I have found. They seems to frequent the fields less and less as it gets taller. I’ll have to try the late morning/evening technique tho.  Will setup some cameras here and see what’s happening.   Thanks again!

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 09:45:06 PM »
I find they don't like tall grass at all when it's wet

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 09:53:30 PM »
I find they don't like tall grass at all when it's wet

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Agree

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline MickT

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 10:14:45 PM »
I’ve been periscoped more than once by gobblers in waist high hayfields too though. I don’t consider them prime areas, but you have to treat just about every acre as fair game when turkey hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk