OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 20 gauge Long Beard #5, Better than expected  (Read 2430 times)

Offline mbarnes122578

20 gauge Long Beard #5, Better than expected
« on: May 02, 2018, 11:17:57 AM »
So I justified the purchase of a 20 gauge as a gun the kids could turkey hunt with but since they still have a year or two before they can hunt of course I had to test it out this year.  I went with a mossberg super bantam, carlson .575 choke and topped it with a bushnell trs-25.  I tried some hevishot magnum blend which did not pattern great and hevi 13 #7 which was much better but not overly impressive.  I'm sure some of this was due adjusting the sight trying to fine tune the red dot.  I assumed I would be hunting with the hevi 13 #7 but wanted to shoot the gun some more before the season and didn't want to shoot up the hevi 13's.  I was hoping to buy some long beard # 6 but all that was on the shelve were 5 shot.  I was hesitate that the low pellet count of #5 (212 by my calculations) would not pattern all that great especially past 30 yards.  Was I wrong!  At 30 yards, there were well over 100 pellets in a 10 in circle.  I moved back to 40 yards not expecting much but was surprised to count 96 in a 10 inch circles and 15 in the turkey target vitals!  After seeing this pattern I figured why not just hunt with this load.  This past Saturday I got to test it on a gobble at 35 yards and it was a bang flop!  Needless to say I could not be happier with this gun, choke, shell combination.  Obviously there are shells out there that will give you greater numbers in a 10 inch circle but hunting purposes out to 40+ yards, this load is hard to beat!

Offline surehuntsalot

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Mendenhall,Mississippi
Re: 20 gauge Long Beard #5, Better than expected
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 12:47:12 PM »
glad to hear it, have not had the chance to try out my LB#5's
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Offline albrubacker

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 08:21:37 PM »
 :OGturkeyhead:
Sounds like a shooter.  Congrats on your bird!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 01:04:12 PM by albrubacker »
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Offline bigbird

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 10:13:23 PM »
My 20 gauge liked the 5’s over the 6’s in the LBXR shells. I was very impressed with the pattern that they produced.

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 04:10:21 PM »
Good stuff to know for when I run out of my stash of Federal HW7's...…………..

CONGRATS on the bird !!!!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.