OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: SP-10 Not Cycling  (Read 7505 times)

Offline robbartley

SP-10 Not Cycling
« on: May 01, 2018, 06:42:20 AM »
Shot a turkey this morning and the second shell did not feed.  Same thing happened last year except it cost me a turkey because the second shell jammed.  Any ideas why and how to fix?

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
Re: SP-10 Not Cycling
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 09:22:24 AM »
what shells are you using?, how old is the gun?, when was the last time taht you broke it down completely and cleaned it?

Offline robbartley

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 01:33:38 PM »
I purchased the gun second hand about 5 years ago.  I have never completely broke the gun down in the time I have owned it and probably should.  From a youtube video I watched today it does not look all that difficult.  I will say though that this was not an issue prior to last year and I have shot the gun less that 20 times in the time I have owned it.  I am shooting Federals currently.

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 03:39:28 PM »
I purchased the gun second hand about 5 years ago.  I have never completely broke the gun down in the time I have owned it and probably should.  From a youtube video I watched today it does not look all that difficult.  I will say though that this was not an issue prior to last year and I have shot the gun less that 20 times in the time I have owned it.  I am shooting Federals currently.
I would start with a good cleaning and oiling, and see if that improves the cycling. 

Offline BTH

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Proverbs 3:5-6. I like the snood!
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 12:53:26 PM »
This may help you out for disassembly. It did me when I broke mine down for deep cleaning.The mag 10 and the SP 10 are virtually the same except the trigger group.
Phil 4:13

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 09:36:37 AM »
Just a recommendation before breakdown.  I would put a white sheet on the table that you are going to be working on as one time I broke my trigger assembly down only to have a small spring fall out.  I stopped immediately placed it in a zip lock and bee lined it to the gunsmith.

Offline robbartley

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 11:51:11 AM »
Thanks for the help guys!

Offline Remingtonfan

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 12:03:39 PM »
Rob, most time when this happens it just needs good cleaning,  sometimes it the exjecter spring, if shooting nitros watch out for it breaking that Cushing ring, and make sure u don't have no wax build up in barrel from wadding.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Offline Rkeifer

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 08:12:18 AM »
Make sure that your slide extension buffer is in good shape.  I bought a used SP-10 that did not have one and started to have cycling issues because the magazine tube was bent.  I sent it for repairs and everything is fine now. 

Offline Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 03:28:06 PM »
If your magazine and cycle springs have gone "limp " swap them out for Wolfe extra power springs , they only make them for Ithaca mag10, bit the function flawlessly in a sp10
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 03:35:35 PM »
Shot a turkey this morning and the second shell did not feed.  Same thing happened last year except it cost me a turkey because the second shell jammed.  Any ideas why and how to fix?
I had this problem with my beretta with long beard XR shells. I switched to a TSS shell and the cycle fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Roosted aint Roasted

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2019, 03:45:35 PM »
I shoot an SP-10 and it will do the same thing if not clean.    I give mine a good cleaning prior to the season every year.

Offline Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2019, 07:49:50 AM »
For a sp10 , if I remember correctly from the manual --the bolt face bust be clean , and clean from oils residue etc..
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2019, 10:24:40 AM »
I got to thinking this weekend that I sure hope we can continue to find parts for the SP-10 in the future without having to pay out the nose.

Offline Gen.27:3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2019, 11:37:36 PM »
I got to thinking this weekend that I sure hope we can continue to find parts for the SP-10 in the future without having to pay out the nose.

I agree, I have hunted with an sp-10 for several years, And I have never had trouble with them. But I do hope that parts don't become too expensive for them.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 04:35:57 PM by Gen.27:3 »
Gen 27:3  Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me,