turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

DIY Wingbone advice needed - Build pic added

Started by Jbird22, April 30, 2018, 10:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbird22

I'm taking on the task of making wingbone yelpers for myself and my 9 yr old son. I'm to the stage where the bones are soaking in peroxide and should be able to assemble soon. I have a few questions and would appreciate any feedback.

#1. I've read where I should wrap with color treated thread aka rod building thread. I don't have any but I do have some BCY Polygrip bowstring serving. Would this work and not fade?

#2. What should I use to seal/coat the thread with when I'm done wrapping?

Again, thanks for any input.

chbarnha

I would think the polygrip  would work just fine

Shoot em in the pecker.... you know the beak

Jbird22

Jbird22

Well, thanks to chbarnha's reply and the ONE member (you know who you are..lol) who pm'ed me with advice, along with Youtube videos from Catman and Mossy Oak (Ernie Calandrelli), I was able to build a few wingbone calls. My 9 yr old son is the proud owner of #1 in honor of killing his 1st gobbler this year and I'm keeping #2 for myself. The bones came from my limit bird (2 yr old with 3 beards) this year here in MS. Just wanted to say thanks to those who didn't mind sharing their knowledge. I really enjoyed making them!

EZ

They turned out great. Lot of fun making them too!!!

crow

great job on your wing bones, they look really nice

Jbird22

Quote from: crow on May 16, 2018, 09:35:26 AM
great job on your wing bones, they look really nice
Thank you sir!

mullet dredge

Well done. I am in the process of putting together my first couple of wing bone calls. That bowstring serving sure did come out nicely. Believe I am going to bribe the guys at the local tackle shop and see if I cant get use of their rodwrapping equipment and expertise when it comes to finishing the joints on mine.

Chris O

Looks good, It will be awesome killing a bird with them