OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Took the 10 this morning

Started by Beretta686, April 22, 2011, 09:55:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beretta686

I tagged out Tuesday, but still love to hunt. I'm headed to GA for a quick hunt tomorrow and CO next Thursday.  So if I can take folks when I'm tagged out, I'm all game.

A friend of mine called me Tuesday evening and asked if I could take him hunting today. He is an accountant, so his turkey season starts April 16 LOL. I said sure I had an idea where a bird was.

Last night I figured I would head to another pasture since I had killed one in a pasture Tuesday. We came up with a plan and I loaded the double bull blind and some chairs in the truck. When I left the house this morning I though pasture, hmmm, I need to take Rolling Thunder for Tim to shoot. I reached in the safe and pulled the big .10g out. When we met I told him I brought a gun for him to shoot. He said thanks because his son had his Benellie and he was just going to shoot one of his over and under.

I love the Blind Hog pack. I had the blind and 2 chairs in a sweet back pack to tote 600 yards across a pasture. Tim thought I was crazy when he saw me sling it on my back. Grabbed the decoys and headed down the hill. When I popped the blind up and unfolded the chairs all he could do was laugh. I told him after what I went through Tuesday; this was a arm chair hunt. We settled in for daylight to break.

Sitting there eating a biscuit and drinking a mountain dew (very hard hunt) I heard a gobble in the woods to our left about 300 yards. Tossed out a few yelps with the slate and was answered by him and one closer that sounded like he was roosted on the pasture behind us. They knew we were there so I just shut up and let them gobble at the crows. Finally they went quiet so I figured they were on the ground. I purred and clucked and he gobbled over my left shoulder about 150 yards. I figure he was in the other pasture, but would show up. I could hear drumming, but could not see anything; there was a giant sticker bush behind us and a terrace that we could not see over. I purred and clucked but got no response. Tim had just whispered I bet he's behind that bush and we can't see him when I looked left and saw his red head. There he was standing on the hill side looking at the decoys. He went into strut and just stood there. I told Tim, kill him. I can't judge distance on a field, but Rolling Thunder is an equalizer. I thought he was about 30-35 yards. When Tim touched the trigger he cut a flip and was down for good. I did take the range finder and click the distance to the blind and it was 44 yards.

After the high fives we walked back to get the truck and drive back to pick everything up. He was a stud Bama bird; 11 13/16 beard, 1 1/8 spur, 1 ΒΌ  spur and 20.5 lbs.

Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005

Hognutz

Congrats on a great gobbler..Very nice. Good story. Looks like your buddy enjoyed it as well. I am growing fond of the mighty 10 as well..Well done..Mike   :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

deadbuck

what load and choke you shooting?

Basser69

Nice read. Thanks for sharing  :icon_thumright:

Beretta686

Quote from: deadbuck on April 22, 2011, 11:12:19 AM
what load and choke you shooting?

I have a BPS with the barrel cut down to 24" with a kicks .695 tube in it I think. I will have to check.

The shells I am shooting are reloads I made several years ago. I know it is nickle plated #5's but I will have to look at what the exact load is. I can't remember. I have it written down in my log book.
Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005