OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Hunting near a Thruway  (Read 3692 times)

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Hunting near a Thruway
« on: April 27, 2018, 09:19:18 PM »
I may be hunting near interstate 90 here in NY near Clifton Springs, NY one day a week and it is LOUD there. I am thinking I should take my custom made long box by Russell Beard that Cut N Run gave me because it is the loudest thing I have to cut through all that noise. I am also thinking of mouth calls and my Mad Super Crystal Pot call as it can also get quite loud yet quiet as well.

2 years ago when I hunted there I used the Mad Super Crystal and some Primos mouth calls and a decoy. I had a hen come out to me and she hung around for a bit so I shut up so that she could do the calling for me, she stayed around for a bit and did not make any noise that I could hear and then left, I called about 10 minutes after she left and again she came back. I thought I could hear some gobbling behind me but the thruway noise made it hard to tell. Nothing else came in and she left again but on the way out we had these 5 fine fellows pass in front of up about 50-75 yards from where I was calling. Should I continue to be as loud as I can or should I soften it up a bit, remember it is quite loud there. Oh before anybody asks no I am not shooting towards the thruway.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
Re: Hunting near a Thruway
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 09:51:34 PM »
Word of advice. Don’t ever give exact spots where you’re gonna hunt or saw birds unless you want company.
Now a longbox is easy to run and will cut some road traffic but why hunt along it. Just move in

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 11:17:57 PM »
Word of advice. Don’t ever give exact spots where you’re gonna hunt or saw birds unless you want company.
Now a longbox is easy to run and will cut some road traffic but why hunt along it. Just move in
Thanks for that advise bud I truly do appreciate it but the reason I was willing to say that much is the thruway runs along just about all of Clifton Springs, Phelps and Manchester http://prntscr.com/jbh0yq  so I am not really giving anything up, plus it is private property and can't be entered except by the trail I am sitting near. That place I am hunting is about the furthest I can get from it on the property while still being able to safely shoot. The property itself sits  against the thruway and I am about 3/4 of a mile from it on the other side if I am lucky. I am there with a friend who is doing some stuff there every Wednesday from spring through fall so I am trying to make the best of the situation. He is Mennonite and can not drive so I drive him there and other places in his vehicle.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 12:44:41 AM »
One of my properties is next to a major road...

It is busy and loud, and I have been surprised that birds can still hear me sometimes.  Often I call between cars, but even on busy traffic days, the birds still hear subtle calling.

I know one time that a couple of birds got run over crossing that road when I was hunting...  I could not see the incident (although I saw the after-effects), but I heard the commotion...  I hope that they had not tried to cross the road due to my calling...  It is the one time, I would hope that I am not the accomplished caller I hope I am...

And, if you ever hear a loud motorcycle, or loud muscle car, try calling...  Those loud cars seem to get birds primed to gobble for some reason...  Maybe it makes them mad???
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 01:01:16 AM »
One of my properties is next to a major road...

It is busy and loud, and I have been surprised that birds can still hear me sometimes.  Often I call between cars, but even on busy traffic days, the birds still hear subtle calling.

I know one time that a couple of birds got run over crossing that road when I was hunting...  I could not see the incident (although I saw the after-effects), but I heard the commotion...  I hope that they had not tried to cross the road due to my calling...  It is the one time, I would hope that I am not the accomplished caller I hope I am...

And, if you ever hear a loud motorcycle, or loud muscle car, try calling...  Those loud cars seem to get birds primed to gobble for some reason...  Maybe it makes them mad???
Could be, that or they are just moody.

John Koenig:

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 12:02:57 PM »
I hunt primarily hunt two different properties...

Part of one is along a major road, and as I said, when loud vehicles (such as a Harley or muscle car) drives by, I have noticed it is easier to get a gobble... 

On the other property, one of the neighboring properties has an old VW without a muffler...  After they fire that car up, I can always get a gobble...

I also pay attention to low-flying planes or helicopters, distant gun-fire, or any low rumbling noises...  I always try to fire up a gobble just after hearing those sounds...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Online Twowithone

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 12:35:10 PM »
Turkeys have super hearing do what your doing with the long box and diaphrams and hang tight. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 03:48:20 PM »
I hunt primarily hunt two different properties...

Part of one is along a major road, and as I said, when loud vehicles (such as a Harley or muscle car) drives by, I have noticed it is easier to get a gobble... 

On the other property, one of the neighboring properties has an old VW without a muffler...  After they fire that car up, I can always get a gobble...

I also pay attention to low-flying planes or helicopters, distant gun-fire, or any low rumbling noises...  I always try to fire up a gobble just after hearing those sounds...
Ah okay, I understand what you are saying better now, sorry I can be a bit dense at times. I will be sure to try that.

John Koenig:

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 03:48:52 PM »
Turkeys have super hearing do what your doing with the long box and diaphrams and hang tight. :firefighter:
Okay, thanks for the advise.

John Koenig:

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 07:08:21 PM »
I love to turkey hunt for the gobbling , spitting and drumming. If I can’t here them for noise , I would most likely find a more appealing place for me. That being said , remember a turkey can hear 10 times better than us , so they may here you calling when you think they can’t.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2018, 08:53:58 PM »
I love to turkey hunt for the gobbling , spitting and drumming. If I can’t here them for noise , I would most likely find a more appealing place for me. That being said , remember a turkey can hear 10 times better than us , so they may here you calling when you think they can’t.
It is a few times a month spot, I don't hunt it every day thank goodness. The place I am hunting now is so much better.

John Koenig: