turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Quack Quack Quack!

Started by culpeper, April 22, 2011, 09:39:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

culpeper

No, not a duck call, but the last of my spring orders.  This call is headed to the west, one of two to this hunter.  This is yet another sapele lid with mahogany edge inlays over a mahogany box and set on a sapele base.  The wood burning got a little more detailed and I decided to do something a little different.  A couple of ducks cruising over the cattails on a quiet spring morn and on the opposite rail a breast feather.  This call has the classic sound of both young and an old boss hen with a distinct roll-over.  The sapele seems to have all the right characteristics and purring and tree talk rein superb on this call.  I hope the hunter will enjoy it for many years to come and perhaps someday pass it along to family.  As always thanks for gazing fellas!

Cut*N*Run

Basser69

That is a great looking call!!!  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

M,Yingling

Thats a looker for sure   :icon_thumright:
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

turkey slayer

beautiful box!! nice work!

Turkey Trot

Nice work, indeed.

How hard is that sapele relative to other common paddle woods like purple heart, walnut, etc.?

Does that wood combination produce a real high pitched type sound with high frequencies or more mid frequencies?
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

culpeper

Turkey Trot,

It's fair to say that it depends on the box material and I say that honestly.  On this call sitting on mahogany it is a mid to high pitch, but becasue of the way I tuned it I got it to produce a nice raspy finish on the old hen side.  Sapele is not near as hard/dense as purpleheart, but to me it is a little denser than walnut.  It is really the grain structure in this wood I like the best...it is consistent and fine which alows the lids to slide nicely across the box rails.  Purpleheart is also nice but it can get skippy sometimes.  I have made several calls with sapele over red cedar and they are simply some of the best sounding calls, with a low pitch and a hard roll-over and they get raspy allowing me to tune one rail much different than the other ands that makes a better call.  I also had made about 10 sapele over cherry and those too seem very receptive to the sapele and typically give a nice mid-range pitch.