OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Just one more minute...  (Read 1077 times)

Offline WNCTracker

• Longbeard
Just one more minute...
« on: April 25, 2018, 09:03:46 PM »
This afternoon I got out for a post work hunt. I spotted a nice bird about 300 yds away on a grassy ridge. I know the land so I got into position in an adjacent smaller overgrown field that was about 75 yds away.  I put out a decoy and found a spot to sit. I called a few times and waited about 10 mins. While sitting there I realized I wasn't going to be able to sit there very long with my back being out. So I got up but there was no good cover for standing. I snuck out to the decoy to revamp my plan and to my surprise. Less than 20 yards was a full strut tom who promptly left. From where I was sitting I had good visibility except for one bush that blocked a piece of my right view and don't you know that's where he was. He had circled and come from the opposite direction without a peep. If I'd waited one more minute to move.....
Wasn't the first time and surely won't be the last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Dr Juice

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Just one more minute...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 05:00:38 AM »
Wow. It has happened to all of us one way or another. That gobbler survived that day to get killed by you on another. Good luck.

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 05:18:49 AM »
I can beat that. I heard a bird gobble in a field one day and I was on the log road to it. When I got about 100 yards out I had one of those feelings in my gut. So I figure before I call I'll get the poop out. So I prop my gun up against a tree and slip over the bank to relieve myself. I am just about to finish and something catches my attention. The gobbler is walking the road, right at me. I pull my pants most of the way up and start a kind of waddle to my gun. All the time thinking this is ridiculous, but I had to try. I got to my gun and he is 30 yards, wow I done it I start to put the gun to my shoulder and sight and I trip and have to catch my balance, well that was too much old tom putted and ran. Afterward I thought about it and realized I wouldn't really have wanted to shoot an ambushed bird anyway, yeah sure. That was many years ago and I was pretty much in fill my tag mode, but today I wouldn't even try to get the gun, I'd just laugh it off. I think he didn't run away at first because he had train wreck syndrome....you know you just gotta watch what is happening right in front of you because it's amazing.

Offline zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 06:43:15 AM »
One of many, lol. We all do it bro  :turkey2:

Offline iamjimmychew

• African White Space Christ
    • JimmyChew.ME
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 07:02:36 AM »
He'll just be one day fatter when you catch him tomorrow, right?

bratya po oruzhiyu

Offline chcltlabz

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 09:42:29 AM »
I can beat that. I heard a bird gobble in a field one day and I was on the log road to it. When I got about 100 yards out I had one of those feelings in my gut. So I figure before I call I'll get the poop out. So I prop my gun up against a tree and slip over the bank to relieve myself. I am just about to finish and something catches my attention. The gobbler is walking the road, right at me. I pull my pants most of the way up and start a kind of waddle to my gun. All the time thinking this is ridiculous, but I had to try. I got to my gun and he is 30 yards, wow I done it I start to put the gun to my shoulder and sight and I trip and have to catch my balance, well that was too much old tom putted and ran. Afterward I thought about it and realized I wouldn't really have wanted to shoot an ambushed bird anyway, yeah sure. That was many years ago and I was pretty much in fill my tag mode, but today I wouldn't even try to get the gun, I'd just laugh it off. I think he didn't run away at first because he had train wreck syndrome....you know you just gotta watch what is happening right in front of you because it's amazing.

This has got to rank in the top 10 "missed opportunity" post I've ever seen :TooFunny:
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of ‘up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Offline kjnengr

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 04:32:45 PM »

This has got to rank in the top 10 "missed opportunity" post I've ever seen :TooFunny:

Yeah, talk about a $h!tty situation...

To the OP,  good luck getting on him again.  I hate when that happens.

Offline land cruiser

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 04:39:23 PM »

Yeah, talk about a $h!tty situation...

To the OP,  good luck getting on him again.  I hate when that happens.
Worst nightmare but great laugh, thank you

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 04:45:24 PM »
One of many, lol. We all do it bro  :turkey2:
Yes we do....He needed a good gripping tree and he would have been done sooner.... :TooFunny:  :theman:
My brother had about the same thing happen Shotgun deer season...and no he couldn't hit CRAP either...   :you_rock: