turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Single jake decoy

Started by Willie 870, April 25, 2018, 08:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willie 870

We are hunting a flock of 4 long beards and 9 hens they  are in a field every morning and evening. We have hunted them twice once with 3 hen dekes and a jake got three hens in the decoys for 10 min no gobblers today we had a strutter and two hens   3 of the longberds got right behinds on back side of a hill when they saw the strutter it was game over they went silient and moved off. thinking of using a single jake decoy any advice welcome

Tracker12

All I hunt with now is a lone DSD Jake.  Been very successful with this setup. 

Harty

Avian X quarter strut jake has helped my spreads and confidence these last few years

wchadw

Quote from: Willie 870 on April 25, 2018, 08:29:59 PM
We are hunting a flock of 4 long beards and 9 hens they  are in a field every morning and evening. We have hunted them twice once with 3 hen dekes and a jake got three hens in the decoys for 10 min no gobblers today we had a strutter and two hens   3 of the longberds got right behinds on back side of a hill when they saw the strutter it was game over they went silient and moved off. thinking of using a single jake decoy any advice welcome
Avian X half strut Jake and breeder hen. Makes em jealous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aurora Wild

I have never used a full strut Jake, but could see how results could be unpredictable. If the hens in your group don't engage it, the adult gobblers likely wont either. I have had dominant hens drag gobblers in, not because of my jake decoy, but to beat up my hen. I have also had gobblers come in to beat up on the jake, but I don't know if they all would react the same without the hen decoy present.

wchadw

Quote from: Aurora Wild on January 23, 2019, 12:24:11 PM
I have never used a full strut Jake, but could see how results could be unpredictable. If the hens in your group don't engage it, the adult gobblers likely wont either. I have had dominant hens drag gobblers in, not because of my jake decoy, but to beat up my hen. I have also had gobblers come in to beat up on the jake, but I don't know if they all would react the same without the hen decoy present.

yea don't know about full strut jake? don't know if i have ever seen one?  half or quarter strut will works well in my experience.  gobblers and jakes will come in on it usually running, especially if you pair it with a "breeder" hen.

tomstopper

Quote from: wchadw on January 23, 2019, 12:39:34 PM
Quote from: Aurora Wild on January 23, 2019, 12:24:11 PM

yea don't know about full strut jake? don't know if i have ever seen one?  half or quarter strut will works well in my experience.  gobblers and jakes will come in on it usually running, especially if you pair it with a "breeder" hen.
:agreed: Just like this
https://youtu.be/AEx4A0I5K4g

Yoder409

Mixed results.................

I generally only use dekes for my own purposes when all else has failed and it becomes personal.

One of the best gobblers I ever killed came 150 down a clover field on a dead RUN to a full strut jake deke.  Have also had longbeards come into sight of the same deke and slink away.  Kinda like anything else...........you won't know if it'll work til it either does or it doesn't.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

MK M GOBL

Can't say I have ever hunted a single Jake and no other decoy... When I run & gun I use my 3/4 strut DSD Jake and a DSD Upright Hen. You can set these 2 a few different ways from another, apart, short stake the hen down to breeding and such. I always like the draw a hen has in a set, and have used a lone hen many times. I will also match a that jake to a feeding hen in late season and have had great success. When I go to a "Full Strut" decoy I use my White Headed DSD I designed/developed but he is not for every hunt, and I just picked up the NEW DSD strutting jake decoy, now I will not hunt him as a jake. I am modifying him a lil' White Headed Strutter, I liked the size of this decoy and mobility, at times my regular strutter can be a bit to carry around...

MK M GOBL

TRG3

While I've had a few gobblers shy away from my Pretty Boy full strut decoy, I've never had any that thought they couldn't whip a Funky Chicken. My typical set up is a Funky Chicken over a hen on the ground in the breeding position. My calling technique involves hen yelps to which I get gobble replies. This is followed in a few minutes by my Primos gobble tube, giving the impression that there's not only a new hen in the area but an outsider tom has showed up, intruding in the established peck order. Very often, a gobbler will come in to challenge the intruder gobbler and he gets to ride home in my truck. In the early season, subordinate birds will come in while in the later seasons the dominate toms do, but usually take much longer to convince, probably because they've always had their way over the past few weeks and still expect the hen to break off from the intruder gobbler and come to them. Last season, it took 2 1/2 hours to finally get the dominate tom to come in.

coalblax

So funky chicken really works?