turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey Scratching vs. other animals

Started by Extendo Clip, April 25, 2018, 04:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Extendo Clip

Is there any way to tell what sort of animal made a scratching? The area I am hunting has lots of what look like scratchings, but no other clear signs of turkeys like feathers or droppings. There seems to be the requisite habitat but haven't heard anything.

Marc

Good question actually...

I have scratches from other critters that look very similar to what turkey scratches could look like (at least to me)...  A friend of mine was sure he was seeing what were turkey scratches, but could never see any turkeys...  He put up a cam, and it turned out to be raccoons (at night)...

If there is a large area of turkey scratching, it would indicate high use, and I would expect to find feathers, footprints, or turkey poop in such an area.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

KentuckyHeadhunter

Usually you will see long claw marks spaced farther apart. Imagine taking a real turkey foot and raking the ground with it.   It's fairly distinct from squirrels, coons, armadillos, and other critters that forage this way.  Tracks should be the next thing you look for.  Poop and feathers maybe but that's more random. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

kjnengr

I saw this mentioned on a video I watched the other day and learned a little bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLJc6HJ0H4k

Listen to the talk around the campfire at the end about scratching. 

Turkeys scratch in a "V" pattern.  If you notice the debris that gets kicked up and the direction it is thrown, it may help to discern what made the scratch.

Sir-diealot

Another thing I recently learned is when you find those tracks that you can tell difference between male and female by the length of the middle toe.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Extendo Clip

Quote from: kjnengr on April 26, 2018, 04:55:22 PM
I saw this mentioned on a video I watched the other day and learned a little bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLJc6HJ0H4k

Listen to the talk around the campfire at the end about scratching. 

Turkeys scratch in a "V" pattern.  If you notice the debris that gets kicked up and the direction it is thrown, it may help to discern what made the scratch.

Ahh thanks for explaining that. I had seen that video and part of what made me post the question is that I didn't understand what they meant but that makes sense.

Extendo Clip

I was out today and took some picture of what I am seeing. Are these from turkeys? And is the scat fron a tom? It looks j shaped to me.

Im not sure how to post all the pics to the thread withoht going over the size limit, so here is a link:

https://imgur.com/a/ClotjRZ

Spitten and drummen

Turkey scratchings mostly have a v appearance if you look closely at them.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Marc

Quote from: Extendo Clip on May 03, 2018, 02:56:04 PM
I was out today and took some picture of what I am seeing. Are these from turkeys? And is the scat fron a tom? It looks j shaped to me.

Im not sure how to post all the pics to the thread withoht going over the size limit, so here is a link:

https://imgur.com/a/ClotjRZ
Do a google search on turkey scratching and turkey droppings...

Here is a good picture of tom vs. hen scat:

a1-scat by Marc Sorsky, on Flickr
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

howl

Ah, that's easy. It looks like a turkey did it. I guess if you think about it, nothing else in the woods is equipped to scratch like a turkey does. Deer don't have the claws to rake like that. Most everything else is pushing, not scratching.  If you're not sure, go look in roost areas for scratching that looks like it was all made going in the same direction up hill.

Turkey droppings as pictured above were not made in the peak of breeding. Turkey plop loses its shape when the cloaca is "multi-tasking" more than usual.

Kylongspur88

Turkeys rake down to the dirt. Usually a bare patch with leaves piled to the back.