OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Longbeard XR defect

Started by Aurora Wild, April 25, 2018, 10:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kellyguinn

I have shot several shells after the defect including Winchester longebeards from a different lot number and have had zero issues. The second pic is of a remington shell I shot right after to make sure it wasn't the gun. From what I can tell when comparing the misfired shell with other Winchester Longbeards that I have the part the pin strikes on the primer is a bit deeper on the misfired one.

stinkpickle

A few years back, I had a similar issue of primers being seated too deep on their Partition Gold slugs.  I sent them the lot # and pics of the shells, and they sent me a certificate to cover three new boxes.

drakehammer

Kellyguinn this is not a deep primer issue.  Thats a dirty action / firing pin issue. The non-European primer caps are soft. Put it back in your gun and squeeze. It will fire. Almost 100% sure.  If not in that gun then try a different one. Happens all the time and people incorrectly blame ammo.  More often than not its a dirty action or firing pin hole. I have reloaded and fired well over a million rounds. Trust me, its the gun. That ammo is well within spec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kellyguinn

May be drake but it sure seems funny that I have never had a problem. 1st shell from new box has a problem then go back to shells I had left over including other Winchester LB from another box without a problem. Either way they are on the way back to Winchester and they are sending a coupon for another box.

Double B

On a tangent, but I noticed while shooting thru a chronograph that Longbeard shells that rattled all shot subsonic.  If they were tight they shot as advertised around 1200 to 1240 fps depending on barrel length. 
Followed by buzzards

drakehammer

Quote from: kellyguinn on May 07, 2018, 02:45:30 PM
May be drake but it sure seems funny that I have never had a problem.
Well for future reference, several times that has happened to me too.  Actually thats pretty common sequence of events for dirty or compromised pins and pin holes. Sometimes it just a little crud that prevents clean and complete firing pin travel.  Either way, if I was you, I would make sure your good to go. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kellyguinn

Thanks. I'll for sure give it a deep cleaning now that the season is over.

ShootingABN!