OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Longbeard XR defect  (Read 3393 times)

Offline Aurora Wild

• Aurora Wild
Longbeard XR defect
« on: April 25, 2018, 10:47:15 AM »
I was patterning my 870 with a Trulock precision hunter .665 with LBXR 1 3/4 oz 5s.  The numbers weren't great,  and the patterns were not even. There was clusters of shot with gaps in between clusters.  I picked up some 6s and gave them a try.  Better numbers and a nice even pattern.  I was sitting here and decided to take a look inside one of these loads, so I cut open a #6. Take a look at this. I doubt this shell would have patterned well. I hope this was a fluke.

Offline drakehammer

Re: Longbeard XR defect
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 12:01:17 PM »
If 6s looked good, why did you open one up?  You said 5s were the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Aurora Wild

• Aurora Wild
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 12:08:43 PM »
If 6s looked good, why did you open one up?  You said 5s were the problem.

The 6s I shot patterned much better than the 5s.  I didn't cut it open looking for a problem,  just to see what was inside first hand.  Here is a side view. Look how the resin flowed outside the wad petal.

Offline drakehammer

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 12:12:16 PM »
How do the 5s look inside?  Seems like that’s what we need to see.  I am trying them out for the first time too.

Offline drakehammer

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 12:13:07 PM »
Thanks for the pics.

Offline Aurora Wild

• Aurora Wild
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 12:21:54 PM »
I just cut open a 5 and it looks fine. I have never had good patterns with 5s from this gun and choke. So I wasn't surprised that the lb 5 patterns looked blown out.

Offline drakehammer

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 12:27:46 PM »
Hmmm.  Most of my friends prefer the 5s. I guess because they’re lead. But LB sure has a reputation for great patterns.

Offline cljohnson24

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 10:26:28 AM »
I would guess that the likely cause of that result was more likely probable to be caused by the shell being squeezed at some point and allowing the shot to slip between the wad slit. This could've happened while you were cutting it or handling at any point between mfg and this photo.

Offline Aurora Wild

• Aurora Wild
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 02:08:35 PM »
No, it definitely happened when the shot was dropped.  As the resin flowed out the gap in the wad and conformed to the casing before hardening

Offline Mossyguy

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 03:31:02 PM »
Friend of mine posted this pic on another forum...said it fell apart in the chamber. Unfired Longbeard XR #5

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2018, 04:32:35 PM »
I can tell you if you drop them, the chance of breaking the resin encapsulating the shot is high and that can ruin patterns.  I have at least 8 rounds out of 5 boxes of 4s, 5s, and 6s that rattle like they've been dropped and Im positive I didn't drop them.  I shot a couple last eeek and the patterns were definitely spotty compared to the rounds that sounded solid.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Offline cljohnson24

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2018, 07:57:11 PM »
I can tell you if you drop them, the chance of breaking the resin encapsulating the shot is high and that can ruin patterns.  I have at least 8 rounds out of 5 boxes of 4s, 5s, and 6s that rattle like they've been dropped and Im positive I didn't drop them.  I shot a couple last eeek and the patterns were definitely spotty compared to the rounds that sounded solid.
Good point about ones that rattle, possibly being dropped etc, and patterns being affected. I will shake all of mine and use the ones that rattle for small game etc...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline kellyguinn

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2018, 11:18:15 AM »
I just had a box with the primers set too deep. Unfortunately I didn't realize till I pulled the trigger on a bird and got nothing but the click lol.

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2018, 02:25:42 PM »
Seems like Winchester quality control is no where to be found. People are having problems in Virginia and Mississippi......

Oh snap...

Offline drakehammer

Longbeard XR defect
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2018, 12:41:54 AM »
Primer set too deep on a shotgun shell?    Thats a new one on me. Please send post pics of these suspect shells.  We can tell you right away.