turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Decline in hunters....The Hunting Public

Started by SD_smith, April 25, 2018, 12:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTGobble

I don't believe the number of young hunters here are changing much at all.  Sometimes it seems that there are more hunters in general, but our problem here is land leased for deer hunting in the fall.  Even though hardly no one hunts turkeys in the spring on these leases, they won't allow anyone else access.  Those who do hunt these leases for turkey usually just plant small clover food plots and wait, just like deer hunting.

drake799

There is no way hunter numbers are down lol

3bailey3

I just turned 55 and have hunted almost 30 days, going in the morning and I feel so young! Here in Ms. I see more young hunters than older ones, but I know of a few silver haired ones that will never say a word back at the camp or on public land when they have a bird in there vest!

Marc

Quote from: drake799 on April 25, 2018, 09:25:03 PM
Hunter numbers probably are not down...  The percentage of the population that hunts, or identifies with hunting is shrinking rapidly...

The conundrum is, that if we interest more of the public in hunting and the outdoors, there will be less resources for hunters....  If we do not create and continue interest, hunting will likely either become an elitist activity or completely fade away....
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Uncle Nicky

There seem to be more spring turkey hunters every year, and many are young, aggressive, and a little cocky, at least where I hunt. Thank goodness fall turkey hunting is declining, me and the dog usually have the whole woods to ourselves (except for the bow hunters).

GobbleNut

Quote from: Marc on April 26, 2018, 01:05:27 AM
Quote from: drake799 on April 25, 2018, 09:25:03 PM
Hunter numbers probably are not down...  The percentage of the population that hunts, or identifies with hunting is shrinking rapidly...

The conundrum is, that if we interest more of the public in hunting and the outdoors, there will be less resources for hunters....  If we do not create and continue interest, hunting will likely either become an elitist activity or completely fade away....

First off, SD, great introductory post,...thanks for taking the time.

Secondly, Marc hits the nail right on the head.  According to the latest statistics I have seen, I believe hunter numbers are down to about 3% of the overall population,...down from about 7% just a decade or so ago.  Still the total number of hunters out there may be increasing, and it seems those that do hunt are becoming more dedicated to it. Still, at 3% of the population, the future of hunting in this country is tenuous, at best.   

Tommy Strutsalot

I enjoy the hunting public - good show.  I'm 33 now so can't really call myself young anymore - but I wasn't born turkey hunting and was self taught - started at probably 23-24.  Had a solid crew of guys then and it's grown since.  As others said - hopelessly addicted.

Tomfoolery

Well down here there are a LOT of young hunters that duck hunt. We call em the duck dynasty favepainting crowd. Theyve over run the marshes with their mud motors that daddy bought for em and bring 19 of their buddies so they can get a good pile for facebook. Theyve run most of us out of the marsh we used to enjoy and we dont want em doing the same thing to our turkey woods.

tha bugman

Quote from: 3bailey3 on April 25, 2018, 09:28:02 PM
I just turned 55 and have hunted almost 30 days, going in the morning and I feel so young! Here in Ms. I see more young hunters than older ones, but I know of a few silver haired ones that will never say a word back at the camp or on public land when they have a bird in there vest!
those young ones sure do love talkin.... :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Tomfoolery

Thats funny you say that. I have a buddy that was goin out looking to roost a bird one day over here last year. He ran into an old man doing the same standing by his truck. He stopped and chatted with him a bit and the old man was saying "i havent heard a bird in 2 weeks. They just aint talking. Havent located a bird all season...etc" bout that time one fired off down the bottom. My buddy kinda chuckled and told him good luck on the bird in the morning and went on looking for another one lol.

3bailey3

Happy

I would agree that the population of people hunting is staying stable while overall population is increasing. But quite honestly public land hunting around me isn't as popular as it used to be. I think I lot of it has to do with the fact that it is darn near impossible to lug a blind,4 decoys, a chair and a gun more than 100 yards from the parking spot. Hitting the easy button isn't as much of an option. Instead people are fighting tooth and nail for private access where they don't have to work so hard. Truth be told we haven't had a high turkey population since the late 80's and that's fine with me too. One side of me is loving the "new" generation of turkey hunters and the other side is cringing and shaking my head.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club