OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: walking birds  (Read 6258 times)

Offline Plush

Re: walking birds
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2019, 05:21:45 PM »
Wouldn’t it be preferable for them to get out of strut so you don’t blast a bunch of lead balls into your nice breast meat? I know their feathers will deflect the majority, but not having to make sure you aren’t cooking lead is always nice.

Offline jims

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2019, 09:21:39 PM »
A upright head shot is a dead turkey!  Turkey feathers are almost an armor if shot at long range.  If a toms head is hidden by his body or the head is not stretched out he is a lot tougher to kill.  Also, as mentioned above there will likely be a lot more pellets that end up in the meat.  Also, if you intend on mounting a bird and shoot a turkey's body and tail feathers you'll likely screw up a lot of feathers!  An upright head is likely a dead turkey while who knows what will happen with a body shot.

Online bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2019, 08:01:13 AM »
I want my bird to be stopped.  With today's chokes and shells, your pattern is about the size of a baseball at 20, the size of a softball at 30 and a beach ball at 40.  If that bird is walking, his head is moving forward and bobbing up and down.  At close ranges, that is a sure miss waiting to happen.  I also want that head and neck extended.  I can't remember shooting a bird in strut.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2019, 08:01:04 AM »
LOL.... Remind me to not ask questions on here.

:TooFunny:  You are obviously a quickerer learnerer than most turkey hunterers...   ;D :toothy12:

Offline tal

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2019, 02:28:00 PM »
 Who woulda thunk it? LOL