OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

walking birds

Started by yelp4u, April 24, 2018, 05:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plush

Wouldn't it be preferable for them to get out of strut so you don't blast a bunch of lead balls into your nice breast meat? I know their feathers will deflect the majority, but not having to make sure you aren't cooking lead is always nice.

jims

A upright head shot is a dead turkey!  Turkey feathers are almost an armor if shot at long range.  If a toms head is hidden by his body or the head is not stretched out he is a lot tougher to kill.  Also, as mentioned above there will likely be a lot more pellets that end up in the meat.  Also, if you intend on mounting a bird and shoot a turkey's body and tail feathers you'll likely screw up a lot of feathers!  An upright head is likely a dead turkey while who knows what will happen with a body shot.

bbcoach

I want my bird to be stopped.  With today's chokes and shells, your pattern is about the size of a baseball at 20, the size of a softball at 30 and a beach ball at 40.  If that bird is walking, his head is moving forward and bobbing up and down.  At close ranges, that is a sure miss waiting to happen.  I also want that head and neck extended.  I can't remember shooting a bird in strut.

GobbleNut

Quote from: tal on March 30, 2019, 03:14:23 PM
LOL.... Remind me to not ask questions on here.

:TooFunny:  You are obviously a quickerer learnerer than most turkey hunterers...   ;D :toothy12:

tal

Who woulda thunk it? LOL