OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
DC Cattle Ranch

Author Topic: walking birds  (Read 2307 times)

Offline g8rvet

• Longbeard
Re: walking birds
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2019, 05:09:32 PM »
My son when he was a young un would not shoot when I told him to because he was waiting for the bird to stop.  I asked after why he did not shoot and he said "You told me to wait to shoot a deer until they stop".  I said, you can shoot a teal and 35mph, I think you can hit a gobbler at 3mph. 

There are times, due to cover, it is nice to make them poke their head up, but that is what a mouth call is for.  Had one last year (a 2 year old of course) that would not go out of strut, no matter what sound I made.  So I shot him.  In strut.  He dead. 

Why do you want him to stop?  Just curious.
Ducks, turkey, redfish.  Who has time for golf?

Offline Plush

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2019, 05:21:45 PM »
Wouldn’t it be preferable for them to get out of strut so you don’t blast a bunch of lead balls into your nice breast meat? I know their feathers will deflect the majority, but not having to make sure you aren’t cooking lead is always nice.

Offline jims

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2019, 09:21:39 PM »
A upright head shot is a dead turkey!  Turkey feathers are almost an armor if shot at long range.  If a toms head is hidden by his body or the head is not stretched out he is a lot tougher to kill.  Also, as mentioned above there will likely be a lot more pellets that end up in the meat.  Also, if you intend on mounting a bird and shoot a turkey's body and tail feathers you'll likely screw up a lot of feathers!  An upright head is likely a dead turkey while who knows what will happen with a body shot.

Offline bbcoach

• Longbeard
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2019, 08:01:13 AM »
I want my bird to be stopped.  With today's chokes and shells, your pattern is about the size of a baseball at 20, the size of a softball at 30 and a beach ball at 40.  If that bird is walking, his head is moving forward and bobbing up and down.  At close ranges, that is a sure miss waiting to happen.  I also want that head and neck extended.  I can't remember shooting a bird in strut.

Offline GobbleNut

• Paintbrush Beard
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2019, 08:01:04 AM »
LOL.... Remind me to not ask questions on here.

:TooFunny:  You are obviously a quickerer learnerer than most turkey hunterers...   ;D :toothy12:
The Original Keyboard Commando
Member of the OG Troll A-Hole Patrol
(Join up!  Membership is Free!)

Offline tal

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2019, 02:28:00 PM »
 Who woulda thunk it? LOL