OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Hunting osceolas  (Read 3218 times)

Offline Jwall

Hunting osceolas
« on: March 17, 2019, 05:08:29 PM »
I'm getting ready to head to Florida in a week to hunt osceolas.  Does anyone have any tips?  Are these much different from easterns?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline Crghss

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Hunting osceolas
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 07:37:35 PM »
Yes, there are subtle differences.

Be patient, they come in silently. Do not goobble nearly as much as Easterns in my opinion.

They do not run far. If you spook some, do not think the game is over. Listen for them to cluck and purr, setup near them as they assemble.

Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Offline Jwall

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 07:41:25 PM »
Yes, there are subtle differences.

Be patient, they come in silently. Do not goobble nearly as much as Easterns in my opinion.

They do not run far. If you spook some, do not think the game is over. Listen for them to cluck and purr, setup near them as they assemble.
Thanks.  I just booked my flight and hoping we beat the job done in the 2 days we are there.

Offline randy6471

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 08:28:59 PM »
Just PM’d you

Offline dejake

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 02:57:32 PM »
The one and only Osceola I killed gobbled over 100 times.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 07:07:01 PM »
Mine came in silently. Be interesting to see what the next one does.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 09:36:24 PM »
Avoid people , they are the real problem

Do not move on them while they are gobbling , they love to sit on the limb for extended periods ....till they spot a hen

You may think they are on the ground, they are not....they ate watching you....do not over call early in the morning , it only encourages them to sit on the limb

They will come in silent sometimes , dont know why they do it , but in areas with coyotes it happens ....they will gobble more on the limb than anywhere else
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Offline kjnengr

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 03:58:06 PM »

Do not move on them while they are gobbling , they love to sit on the limb for extended periods ....till they spot a hen

You may think they are on the ground, they are not....they ate watching you....do not over call early in the morning , it only encourages them to sit on the limb

They will come in silent sometimes , dont know why they do it , but in areas with coyotes it happens ....they will gobble more on the limb than anywhere else

I wonder if the gobblers in a tree thing has to do with the swamp.  I've never seen or heard of gobblers fly up in a tree and spotting an open area in the middle of the day except when hunting my buddy's place in Louisiana that is 50% swamp/wetland.   

Offline Jwall

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 04:11:32 PM »

I wonder if the gobblers in a tree thing has to do with the swamp.  I've never seen or heard of gobblers fly up in a tree and spotting an open area in the middle of the day except when hunting my buddy's place in Louisiana that is 50% swamp/wetland.
Well that's exactly what happened to us the last day there.  Osceolas are much different that what im used to.  However, I did end up having success.  Had to get waist deep in the swamp to retrieve him though. That's after watching a 6ft gator slide into the swamp an hr before I shot the bird.