OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Tomorrow morning...  (Read 827 times)

Offline wisconsinteacher

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Barron Co. WI
Tomorrow morning...
« on: April 24, 2018, 03:24:13 PM »
This morning, I was finally able to scout the back of the farm because the snow finally melted.  At fly down 3 toms flew into the field and I could hear more in the woods.  15 minutes later, a single tom came out followed by the first 3.  10 minutes after that some hens came out with one more tom.  After 30 minutes, there were 19 hens, 2 jakes and 7 toms in the field.  They worked across the hay field towards the cut corn 200 yards away.  The group of 3 is running the show and will not let the other 4 toms get close to the hens.  In total, I watched them from 5:45 to 7:15 and they traveled 200-300 yards.  My plan is to set up in the middle of the hay field on the small rise they all walked down this morning. 

It is going to be a long night of thinking and dreaming, but with a little luck, they will show up tomorrow and play the game!!!!

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Tomorrow morning...
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 05:34:28 PM »
Good luck

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline wisconsinteacher

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Barron Co. WI
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 03:49:02 PM »
Well, it worked out.  A tom was roosted 160 yards away.  He flew into the field and strutted and a few hens flew in.  Deeper in the woods a tom gobbled about 20-30 times and came to the field, where tom #1 pushed him away.  That is what I needed for him to break my way and come the 175 yards to my decoys.  I shot him at 38 yards with my 20ga and handloaded tss.  I'm sold on the #9 tss out of a 20ga.  No more beating my shoulder with those 3.5" 12ga guns.  After he flopped, 2 more toms came out to challenge the boss gobbler and lost.  Great morning in the woods!!!

Offline PharmHunter

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 03:55:52 PM »
Awesome  :jackson:

Offline Dr Juice

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 05:13:30 AM »
Well, it worked out.  A tom was roosted 160 yards away.  He flew into the field and strutted and a few hens flew in.  Deeper in the woods a tom gobbled about 20-30 times and came to the field, where tom #1 pushed him away.  That is what I needed for him to break my way and come the 175 yards to my decoys.  I shot him at 38 yards with my 20ga and handloaded tss.  I'm sold on the #9 tss out of a 20ga.  No more beating my shoulder with those 3.5" 12ga guns.  After he flopped, 2 more toms came out to challenge the boss gobbler and lost.  Great morning in the woods!!!
Awesome. You got me thinking about a 20-gauge now. I am 52 yrs old and my right shoulder movement is limited lately. It might be from rucking it especially when I was in a combat zone. We wore our protective gear, rucked it, and carried our weapon(s). I know that game from experience is truly for the young and not for old farts like me.

Congrats with your kill and best regards.

Offline zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 06:46:26 AM »
I am repossessing my old 20 from my daughter after youth weekend, lol. I am getting old and those Fed #7 heavyweights kill as far as I can see. Great hunt, Congrats

Offline ejhandler

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 08:04:13 AM »
Congrats!  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: