OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: any of you guys use a youth sized shotgun?  (Read 3497 times)

Offline ezmorningrebel

any of you guys use a youth sized shotgun?
« on: April 24, 2018, 12:33:30 PM »
i'm thinking of getting a backup gun to my 1187 12 gauge and am considering buying a youth 20 ga.  I have two young sons who aren't quite of age yet but I know we would get a lot of use out of this when they do.  my deer rifle is a tikka compact which has a 1" shorter LOP than standard and I love how it handles.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 02:05:22 PM by ezmorningrebel »

Offline Mossyguy

Re: any of you guys use a youth sized shotgun?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 01:16:08 PM »
I have a youth model 870 20 gauge that I love to carry. I kept the wood stock and wrapped it in a graphics kit from Mossy Oak. From the end of the stock to the end of the choke is about 41 inches. With the right shell and choke it’s a 40 yard setup all day long.

Offline BrowningGuy88

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 02:03:36 PM »
A bunch of the guys here carry youth model guns. I have used for years in the form of an 870 Youth with 21” barrel. They are handy little guns.

Offline eorlando

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 02:11:42 PM »
Yup. Just built one this year. Love it!!!! I'll NEVER shoot my 12ga again. Shooting HW7s and it is a stone cold killer. Youth 870 w/ 21" barrell, burris ff3, gobbler74 protector, Phoenix kicklite stock, claw sling, and sumtoy choke.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 02:37:35 PM »
I bought one last year(870) and slowly put it together,I like it but I still prefer my 12 gauges.I think they are a great addition to my collection and they would be great for the kids, and yourself.I think of them as another gun to the collection and maybe I will take it a few times a year.

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 05:16:15 PM »
 Almost every single 20 gauge build out there save the single shots, a few pumps and most semiautos began life as a youth gun. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Offline Spurs Up

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 06:11:29 PM »
i'm thinking of getting a backup gun to my 1187 12 gauge and am considering buying a youth 20 ga.  I have two young sons who aren't quite of age yet but I know we would get a lot of use out of this when they do.  my deer rifle is a tikka compact which has a 1" shorter LOP than standard and I love how it handles.

If you pair it with red dot, the miniature LOP of youth model is sweet. If I had to use a bead with a 12” LOP and 21” barrel, I couldn’t hit my azz.  Handles like a pocket gun and treat to carry.

Offline Tom Foolery

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 07:08:15 PM »
Youth 870 here that's been Krylon'd

I doubt I'll ever carry a 12 again

Offline Deast1988

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 08:06:01 PM »

Youth 870 20ga
Added Shur Shot 20ga stock
Had Sumtoy, Drill/Tap, Polish bore Action trigger, lengthen forcing cone, added .562 Sumtoy choke, vortex low mounts, 4x pro diamond, Cerakote FDE/Burnt Bronze, Nitro T258 1 5/8oz #9s

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2018, 05:09:46 PM »
The object of turkey hunting is to shoot a bird. Why make the shots harder? The gun needs to fit you. The average adult is shooting at least a 14-3/8 lop. Anyone bigger needs more. If the bird runs, jumps up n flies, etc I’ll never get this fad of being gimped up. If the gun doesn’t fit you cannot shoot to it’s full potential. I posted before about this. Not one competitive shooter is shooting a kids gun unless they’re a kid.
Not trying to be a party pooper and guys can do as they wish.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2018, 05:57:37 PM »
I am taking mine for its first hunt this year in the am,I cant speak for others but my gun fits me perfect and I don't care about pro shooting competitions as I am a hardcore hunter out to kill a tom,I would never hunt with a gun that wasn't a good fit.I am just not a huge remington fan,I wish my gun had another name on it,that's all I can complain about.I put it together because of all the aftermarket accessories available.The little gun shoulders as nice as my other guns and will drop a tom out to 40 yards easily.

Offline Tom Foolery

• Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2018, 07:38:56 PM »
The object of turkey hunting is to shoot a bird. Why make the shots harder? The gun needs to fit you. The average adult is shooting at least a 14-3/8 lop. Anyone bigger needs more. If the bird runs, jumps up n flies, etc I’ll never get this fad of being gimped up. If the gun doesn’t fit you cannot shoot to it’s full potential. I posted before about this. Not one competitive shooter is shooting a kids gun unless they’re a kid.

I don't shoot competitively, I'm actually not even sure what that has to do with turkey hunting, but I don't see many comp shooters get all twisted up like you can on a bird.  I have missed chances at birds because they came in at bad angles and the LOP wouldn't let me get turned.  The youth 870 allows me full range of motion and I can make any shot I need to make. 

I'm 6'1" 235lbs, long arms, thick chest and no neck.  Add some extra clothing and an odd angle and your 14 3/8" LOP ain't worth much.  The youth 870 fits me perfect.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 07:47:31 PM by Tom Foolery »

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2018, 04:24:19 AM »

I don't shoot competitively, I'm actually not even sure what that has to do with turkey hunting, but I don't see many comp shooters get all twisted up like you can on a bird.  I have missed chances at birds because they came in at bad angles and the LOP wouldn't let me get turned.  The youth 870 allows me full range of motion and I can make any shot I need to make. 

I'm 6'1" 235lbs, long arms, thick chest and no neck.  Add some extra clothing and an odd angle and your 14 3/8" LOP ain't worth much.  The youth 870 fits me perfect.
You’ve got a point about twisted up but I’m referring to a gun fitting you so you can make a good shot. It’d be hard to impossible to get max use from a gun if it didn’t fit. Anyone shooting when it really counted would know that.
I’ve been at this a long time. I’m not saying you’re not as well but I’ve never wished for a shorter stock cause I was “twisted” up. Point your shoulder to the bird and your shot shows up.
If you gotta twist that bird may see you and start running. At that point youre almost wingshooting. Be best if a gun fit you instead of being something that gimped you up and made swinging unnatural. That has happened more to me than what you mentioned.
Use what you like though I’m trying not to convince you.

Offline Tom Foolery

• Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2018, 07:22:33 AM »
So you've shot and hunted with the youth model guns quite a bit?

I've hunted with mine for 5-6 years now and shot skeet, doves and squirrels with it also.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2018, 10:03:51 AM »
When it matters....I put the bird on the ground,I have been at this awhile myself. :jackson: