OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What's your most curious mammal sighting when turkey hunting?

Started by Cut N Run, April 23, 2018, 09:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cut N Run

I've had a skunk almost crawl in the brush blind with me once. A goat came through the swamp to my calls and I have to assume he had escaped somebody's farm and just lived wild.

How about you, had any unusual mammal encounters when you're hunting turkeys?

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Chilly

I had a mink come running down a logging road packing a baby rabbit.  He got within  few feet of me and dropped it and ran off.
Can't kill'em from the couch!!!!

3bailey3

Mine would have to be some crack heads that had been up all night in some public land, that's why I always carry more than three!

1iagobblergetter

No mammal story,but I was hunting Wisc. several years ago with a River not to far away from where I set up. Between my calls I heard something slowly making its way in behind me thinking maybe it was a Gobbler sneaking in. It was heading right up alongside of me from behind.When it got right by me and about the time i was thinking wow this is going to be good I moved my eyes to see what it was.  Ohhh Crapppp no Tom Turkey it was a Great Big Snapping Turtle.

KentuckyHeadhunter

Great topic. 
I swear this story on my life.  I was deer hunting about nine years ago with a buddy around midwest GA and we jumped a kangaroo (no pun intended).  We both saw it look right at us and hop away very quickly and dart through a barbed wire fence.  Even left some hair on the fence.  Front legs never touched the ground.  We both know what we saw and still get ridiculed to this day.  And yes we were both sober and it was around 11am.  There are farms that raise wallabies and kangaroos in GA but my research found nothing in that area.  We know what we saw that day and I can't explain it. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

catman529

Quote from: KentuckyHeadhunter on April 23, 2018, 10:20:42 PM
Great topic. 
I swear this story on my life.  I was deer hunting about nine years ago with a buddy around midwest GA and we jumped a kangaroo (no pun intended).  We both saw it look right at us and hop away very quickly and dart through a barbed wire fence.  Even left some hair on the fence.  Front legs never touched the ground.  We both know what we saw and still get ridiculed to this day.  And yes we were both sober and it was around 11am.  There are farms that raise wallabies and kangaroos in GA but my research found nothing in that area.  We know what we saw that day and I can't explain it.
I've seen some roos in a paddock down the road from some public land I hunt. If I ever see one while hunting, I'll know where it came from.

bruce.smith0817

Quote from: Cut N Run on April 23, 2018, 09:40:44 PM
I've had a skunk almost crawl in the brush blind with me once. A goat came through the swamp to my calls and I have to assume he had escaped somebody's farm and just lived wild.

How about you, had any unusual mammal encounters when you're hunting turkeys?

Jim
Had emu come in someone had turned loose

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Phire Phite

Also not turkey, but during rifle season I was sitting up against a rock wall.  I saw something move out of my peripheral and turned.  Fisher cat walking right towards my head????.  Stopped dead when he saw me and ran back a few yards up and 15 feet up a tree and sat there and watched me for a minute.  Was happy he didn't get any closer. 

Would love to post a picture of him, butt i aint tha smert,

joey46

Otters - the "bunny huggers" think they're cute but they can be quite aggressive.  Last turkey season had to dodge a family group of them while crossing a small creek.  Big surprise when I heard the clicking chatter.

Frylock

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on April 23, 2018, 10:06:41 PM
No mammal story,but I was hunting Wisc. several years ago with a River not to far away from where I set up. Between my calls I heard something slowly making its way in behind me thinking maybe it was a Gobbler sneaking in. It was heading right up alongside of me from behind.When it got right by me and about the time i was thinking wow this is going to be good I moved my eyes to see what it was.  Ohhh Crapppp no Tom Turkey it was a Great Big Snapping Turtle.

I've also had a snapping turtle come through my setup, not what what I was expecting.

deerhunt1988

Called in a mountain lion while hunting New Mexico. Knew no one would ever believe me unless I got video.

https://youtu.be/5OV52TL1A1E

zelmo1

Keep that lion bro, I only had a skunk sniff my boot before. I guess I can stay still, cuz I wanted to run, lol. Ended well, my buddy Joe's daughter shot a nice tom right at that spot not 10 minutes later  :turkey2:

Happy

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Coroner01

WOW.....I am boring as hell.  Kangaroos, mountain lions on video.....I had what I fear may be a small timber wolf come out and messed with my flock out of range of me, they putted and it loped out of the field.  He had coloration of a coyote, but his stride was "loping" not a short legged trot like most my yotes do in my area.  They have been sighted in our area.  I have been scared by sneaky house cats, and an occasional farmers dog wanting an ear rub.  I once was woke up by a fawn pulling my bootlace. That little thing woke me up, and I was able to harvest a turkey that was strutting right behind it. 

Tail Feathers

Called up an elk and a bear on the same trip to TN a few years back.  A big black bear at 80 yards makes you take notice!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!