OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Worth trying on spooked bird?  (Read 1412 times)

Offline Txag12

Worth trying on spooked bird?
« on: April 23, 2018, 02:27:48 PM »
Long story short I been trying to get my girlfriend her first bird and had one nailed down for a routine. He has been roosting about a 1/4 mile over on one property but crossing the fence to feed and mill around during the day. We set up and he moved through just as expected to the feeding/strut zone, and in the midst of her nervousness and my commotion of talking and moving trying to help her get the gun up and steady on the bird we spooked him. No putt, didn’t fly off, just took a 180 and high tailed it the opposite direction and then back across the fence to the other property. Will he return to the same routine, or is it better to try and pattern another bird? Obviously will go after something else if the opportunity presents, but our birds have been practically silent for over a week now. Brainstorming the best approach on him as I really haven’t been in this situation before. I fear he will stay on the other property now which does not get hunted.

Offline dublelung

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Worth trying on spooked bird?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 02:44:19 PM »
Get back after him. Turkeys get scared of something every day of their life, he likely just saw movement he was uncomfortable with.

Offline MS Boy

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 02:47:27 PM »
No reason to stress about it that tom will be back so go back after him and good luck.

Offline ilbucksndux

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 02:55:44 PM »
My thoughts are that he forgot about you about 45 seconds later.
Gary Bartlow

Offline High plains drifter

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 06:36:27 PM »
I spooked a really big bird recently, but I know he will be back.They always return to areas they like.I should have tried that fan crawl on him, except I didn't have a fan.Had my bow, and a 12 guage, and a pack with a big hard bodied decoy. For some reason the birds were not gobbling, and I noticed a fresh coyote kill, or maybe a hawk got him.

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 06:55:19 PM »
Turkeys are spooked numerous times on a regular daily basis. He will be workable. You may go right back there tomorrow and flop him. Then again he may never give you another shot. My money says he will be killable at some point.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline Coroner01

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 10:19:17 AM »
My son missed multiple gobblers one morning, he emptied his gun.....shot right over the top of them.....he didn't have his cheek on the stock....those birds were there the next day to go at it with him again....he had school....lol....al

pabossie255

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 04:29:21 PM »
Just don’t be in the same spot be in same area just move your spot 30-40 yards in case he looks there first to see if what he did not like is still there.

Offline Flyinhunter

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 12:14:14 PM »
My buddy killed a bird from the same group I did 3 days prior. About 50 yards away. He also shot at the same group the 2 days prior. Lol so the birds had been shot at for 3 days and he still got the job done. Keep at it! Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline turkeyfoot

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 02:50:46 PM »
Turkeys get spooked all the time then go back to routine go get him

Offline Gamblinman

• Double Beard
  • Major Flagelator
    • Georgia Deer Cam
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 11:47:45 AM »
In Texas..meh..go find another bird. Come back in a couple of hours and get back after him.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."