OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Double Double in "Double-U" V.  (Read 2660 times)

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
Double Double in "Double-U" V.
« on: April 23, 2018, 11:16:10 AM »
This is getting to be an annual trip to WV to hunt with my son.  We doubled up on Friday in the mountains and again Sunday on a farm. 

The mountain birds involved over 3 hours of working them until they committed. Probably moved 7 or 8 times and at one point bailed down off the main ridge maybe 400 feet elevation change to get after them.  But they weren't buying what we were selling and eventually decided to feed their way up to the top of the ridge.   So we backed out and humped it back up to the top of the main ridge to pick them off.  Except they beat us to the top.  So we hustled a short way down the opposite side of the ridge, set up and called them over the top and right down the gun barrels.  Might only have been set up there for 5 minutes.  Crazy how they won't commit for hours and all of the sudden come marching right on in.  Shot a bird that might have gone 55 but didn't bother recording anything since that score won't do the team any good and PA season hasn't even started yet.  And the whole photo posting thing is a pain in the arse.  Funny how I have no problem chasing a bird for 3 hours but don't have the patience to spend 15 minutes taking and posting pictures.  I need an administrative assistant. 

The farm birds were a slam hunt.  Got to our listening spot in the dark in the corner of a football-sized field with trees on both ends and both sides.  At wakeup we had found ourselves with hens on one side and gobblers on the other.  So we set up and eventually I got into a heated argument with a raspy hen while still on the roost.  She flew down in our laps from the other side of the field along with 2 other hens.  That brought a smile to my face and 3 gobblers to our setup shortly afterwards.     

In a sick way, the mountain bird hunts are way more fun.  Finding them and sealing the deal generally is way harder than most any farm birds.  Gotta get out of the truck and put miles on your boots just to scout.  And they will hang up within killing range but often times you can't see them cause the hang up on a bench or finger.   

Pictures posted in the kill thread.  Sorry for them being so huge but I am not sure how to downsize them.  Another reason I need an administrative assistant.   :TooFunny:

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

Offline harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
Re: Double Double in "Double-U" V.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 11:24:46 AM »
This is getting to be an annual trip to WV to hunt with my son.  We doubled up on Friday in the mountains and again Sunday on a farm. 

The mountain birds involved over 3 hours of working them until they committed. Probably moved 7 or 8 times and at one point bailed down off the main ridge maybe 400 feet elevation change to get after them.  But they weren't buying what we were selling and eventually decided to feed their way up to the top of the ridge.   So we backed out and humped it back up to the top of the main ridge to pick them off.  Except they beat us to the top.  So we hustled a short way down the opposite side of the ridge, set up and called them over the top and right down the gun barrels.  Might only have been set up there for 5 minutes.  Crazy how they won't commit for hours and all of the sudden come marching right on in.  Shot a bird that might have gone 55 but didn't bother recording anything since that score won't do the team any good and PA season hasn't even started yet.  And the whole photo posting thing is a pain in the arse.  Funny how I have no problem chasing a bird for 3 hours but don't have the patience to spend 15 minutes taking and posting pictures.  I need an administrative assistant. 

The farm birds were a slam hunt.  Got to our listening spot in the dark in the corner of a football-sized field with trees on both ends and both sides.  At wakeup we had found ourselves with hens on one side and gobblers on the other.  So we set up and eventually I got into a heated argument with a raspy hen while still on the roost.  She flew down in our laps from the other side of the field along with 2 other hens.  That brought a smile to my face and 3 gobblers to our setup shortly afterwards.     

In a sick way, the mountain bird hunts are way more fun.  Finding them and sealing the deal generally is way harder than most any farm birds.  Gotta get out of the truck and put miles on your boots just to scout.  And they will hang up within killing range but often times you can't see them cause the hang up on a bench or finger.   

Pictures posted in the kill thread.  Sorry for them being so huge but I am not sure how to downsize them.  Another reason I need an administrative assistant.   :TooFunny:
Sounds like a great hunt and tons of memories. Congrats

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 07:46:51 PM »
Great hunt, Awesome!

Offline cramerhunts

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 07:59:19 AM »
Awesome stuff right there! Sounds like a blast, way to go!