turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Finally killed in Tennessee half way through the season

Started by catman529, April 22, 2018, 07:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catman529

It has been the worst season I've had since I started in 2011. Birds are still there but don't want to talk and hide in the woods. Certain days are good and I've heard a bunch on roost. I've also had a couple chances to kill toms, but blew it.

Rode with a friend to a couple of his spots and we struck one midday bird that hammered and came in on a string, but busted us due to bad setup.

Went to another spot and found a whole gang of jakes. I could see one was bigger than the rest and was picking a fight with another jake. I decided if we could "reap" these jakes into range, I'd shoot the big one.

Well it worked out... here is the video

http://youtu.be/KwrV68JVf_Q

This bird weighed 17 lbs 3 oz with a 6" beard and 3 smaller beards. He actually weighed more than my smallest tom. I think it's only the second time I've ever intentionally shot a jake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tnwoodsman

That was a super jake. I've never heard of a multi bearded jake. Great job

nyhunter

TJK68

gunboy203

Kylongspur88

Awesome bird. It's been slow here too. I'd say we're two weeks behind on the green up. It's thrown things off a little.

shatcher

Good job.  It's been awfully tough in TN.  The toughest I can remember.

Cottonmouth

Congrats on a unique bird. I saw some evidence of beard rot on the big beard.  Our jakes usually have about a 3" beard down here in MS.

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

catman529

Quote from: Cottonmouth on April 22, 2018, 10:17:03 PM
Congrats on a unique bird. I saw some evidence of beard rot on the big beard.  Our jakes usually have about a 3" beard down here in MS.
No beard rot, just the first growth of beard from a jake... he was a bigger one, maybe born early. 1/4 inch nub spurs.

tomstopper

Nice. Congrats

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

1iagobblergetter

boomer

zelmo1

Nice bird, never saw a multi bearded jake. Congrats

Coroner01

That was a really nice video.  Great footage, nice shot.  Congrads young man.   I think we need to do a go fund me page and get you one of those turkey carriers for sale on this forum.  Great job.