OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: old missouri bird down  (Read 2399 times)

Offline backforty

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
old missouri bird down
« on: April 22, 2018, 07:01:54 PM »
Got my best bird spur wise yet on Saturday.  I setup on the edge of a field in an area that had not been open all season (hunt on a military base).  At first light I heard a large group of birds with several gobblers in it about 200 yds behind me and a lone gobbler off to my left about 100 yds.  I waited till fly down and made a few yelps with no response.  I figured I was in for a long wait. about 10 minutes later a hen cut loose about 60 yds behind me so I answered and she replied. for nearly a half hour I played this game, I could hear the gobblers fighting and then the hens going at it but they would not close the distance. I decided to shut up and see what happened. I waited about 20 minutes and they still had not moved or shut up.  I did three soft yelps and the bird from left cut loose from the wood line about 75yds down the field. I got ready expecting to see him coming to my decoys and nothing.  I soft yelped again and he gobbled straight behind me. He was headed toward the group of birds that i had been screwing with all morning. I was setup in a blow down and got myself turned around where I could see behind me but it was thick saplings and I could not locate him but could here him drumming.  I yelped one more time and he walked into one of the few holes I had at about 40 yds and took a load of 20 gauge heavyweight to the face and stoned him.the spurs actually measured just short of 1.5" but I didn't measure along the back when I took the pics.  ,   
Print by Madison, on Flickr

Offline ILHUNTER

Re: old missouri bird down
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 08:53:32 AM »
Congrats, that is a real nice bird.

Offline maddog3355

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 12:05:18 PM »
Congratulations. Them hooks are impressive.

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 04:59:05 AM »
Nice one. Congrats

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

BottomLand54

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 04:19:32 PM »
Praise the Lord

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk