Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Drthorn Hunting Log version 2018 (UPDATED 4-22-18 )

Started by Drthorn, March 26, 2017, 03:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drthorn

Tried some coyote hunting this morning in the snow. Saw several coyote tracks but no coyotes. What I probably got most excited about was seeing some big ol' turkey tracks in the snow! Wish I would have got a picture to post of the tracks, but it just didn't cross my mind at the time. Can't wait for Spring.

Drthorn

Opening day success in KY.

Went out scouting the first week of April and saw a nice group of turkeys along with 6-8 toms. I figured if I didn't mess with them it would be a great opening weekend.

The storms moving in got me a little worried but they held off just long enough.

Had a plan and it came together perfectly.  We had 4 toms in the field along with 4 jakes and a few hens mixed in. They pitched down around 7am...Two finally broke and came into the decoy. I shot and my brother tried to follow up but he just couldn't connect. Finally got to use and connect with the 20ga I bought last season.

25lbs
9 3/4" and 6" beards
3/4" spurs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

captpete

Drthorn

Slept in this morning with the pouring down rain. Planning on getting some things done around the house, workout, and then by the field once this rain clears. Hoping for a good afternoon hunt and hopefully I can get my brother (or us both ) a turkey

perrytrails

Congrats, nice bird. Look forward to your posts each year.

I'll be headed to Kentucky Tuesday through Sunday this week to hunt.

Kentucky is a beautiful state!!

Drthorn

Well, tried an afternoon hunt once the rains moved out...brrrrrr was it cold. the temps dropped and the wind was up which made for a very wet, cold, and damp afternoon. I did manage to locate a flock of 11 turkeys, two of which were nice toms, but once I began calling to them, they either didn't like my calls or seen me because they weren't having any of it and went off in the other direction. Last I saw them, they had moved off the property and were heading away. I gave it in total about 3 hours before I called it quits. After observing that flock, the toms never once strutted which had me to believe that the turkeys were just not going to work today.

I went on home to get some more house work done and help with the kiddos. Gonna need those brownie points with the wifey for next weekend!

Drthorn

Tried an evening hunt tonight. Unfortunately when I was walking to where I wanted to setup a big Tom was already in the field. I tried to stalk closer and use my fan for cover/decoy but the hen in the field wasn't having an of it and she and the Tom took out running. I did end up getting him to respond to some calling 90min later but he never came back.

Probably gonna be Saturday before I make it back out.

Drthorn

Very uneventful weekend. I never got closer than 600 yards from a turkey. Hunted Saturday morning for about 4 hours and put in another 5 hours that afternoon and nothing. Had one gobbling to my calls around 430 but stayed in the same spot for over an hour (off my property). I had to get home to the fam so left hime gobbling at around 530pm

The biggest disappointment was that I took my 6  year old daughter this morning. She had never been to turkey hunting before so I was hoping the birds would be roosted in the same trees they have every morning I've hunted, and go figure, THEY WERE NOT THERE! Instead they were in the very back of the property where you could faintly hear them. This was so disappointing as really i just wanted her to hear the turkeys going crazy on the roost and if we got one that would be the icing, but she could barely, if at all hear them. I had her back to the house by 745am and back to the field to try to get on those birds. I spotted a tom and some hens about a mile away off our property and that was pretty much my SUnday. Hunted until 1030 and nothing.

Maybe next weekend.