News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Rem 870 and Federal TSS #7's

Started by Terry, April 21, 2018, 06:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

owlhoot

Quote from: Coop1082 on April 22, 2018, 11:39:52 AM
I completely understand! Lol. Someone out there has to have experience with an 870 and the Fed 7s!
Not many have experience with the TSS Federal loads ,you have to get some first.
Most who have them would get 9's. States that allow it of course.
Pellet count is lower with TSS 7's than heavy weights 7's so I wouldn't expect something to great. You could assume that it is still a flight control wad and choke off that basis.
How's your barrel? If it is not really bright and smooth then polish it. Instructions are available on this site and they are good ones.
Use them or not a good denatured alcohol scrub does wonders.
Since new tubes can be costly I would recommend a cheap one . A Tight Wad  :z-twocents:

bruce.smith0817

Remington 11/87 Carlson's .570  choke Fereral#7,sat 35 yds

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

tnanh

Marc

I know nothing about TSS loads...

But I do know that the flight control wads can make steel shot fickle (and sometimes unpredictable) as to choking...

I would do as stated above, and polish the barrels and chokes (as plastic residue can build up and possibly effect choking).  I might also try patterning some (quality) lead or even Hevi-shot (if available) without the flight control wads and see if it is the shot/wad choice or the gun/barrel.

You already know what is not working, I would see what does at this point.

I might even try a standard factory full choke and see what your patterns look like with those?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Jbird22

Terry, first let me say that I have zero experience with Federal TSS as I load my own. However, even with those who handload, the short barrel 20 ga seems to be hit and miss and often requires a specific choke for the individual barrel. My 870 20 ga has a 26" barrel and it shoots great with a Carlson's .575 extended, non-ported choke. I've noticed most 26" barrels do shoot great with that choke. I know it's probably not what you want to hear but you may have a pretty extensive search on your hands to find what choke works best for your short barrel gun with the 7's. You probably won't have much feedback with that particular shot size. I can send you a Rem SF and a Primos Tightwad to try if you'd like. Just let me know and I'll be glad to mail them to you.

sasquatch1

Quote from: Terry on April 22, 2018, 09:51:26 AM
I'm thinking try something tighter next??

I appreciate the help

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

This! Mine hates open chokes. It's a 21" barrel and Loves the Carlson .555. If the barrel is longer the .565 would be my first pick. My 26" M2 loves that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PharmHunter

Look into getting a Sumtoy or Indian Creek. 

briton

Haven't been lucky enough to try 20 ga but with my 12 a factory full has been the ticket with #9, nice even pattern with around 250 at 40 yds. Tried a Carlson 660 and it was wayyy too tight and blown. When using tss start out with a factory full, it might save you time and money

nyhunter

Terry, what did you end up with for a choke ? 

Clydetaylor1

I would call sumtoy,jebs,indian creek, or what ever choke brand you like and ask.