OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Red Dot with magnification

Started by RailRoader, April 21, 2018, 06:15:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RailRoader

I'm thinking of getting a red dot with magnification. My eyes are starting to change as I get older. Does anyone use one?

grayfox

Most red dots that hunters use for turkey hunting don't have any magnification that I'm aware of. I don't think you would want any magnification for that. My eyes won't focus on the regular sights anymore so I starting using red dots. Couldn't be happier since I changed. If you want magnification you might try a scope.

land cruiser

You can get a scope with illuminated reticle and kill two birds. If you care to tell me your budget I could recommend something decent.

RailRoader

I'd like to stay around $200. Not sure if that's possible with a scope and illuminated reticle. I'd still have to get mounts.

land cruiser

RailRoader

Thanks Land. I haven't seen that vortex. I'm a big fan of Vortex

howl

There are a couple dots that go to low mag. There are also magnifiers you put in line behind the dot. I don't think you need magnification. If you can see the turkey, you can superimpose a dot over the neck.

I have trouble picking turkeys out when they are in cover or in dappled shade. But if I can see them I have no trouble making the shot with just a bead. A red dot is almost cheating. I just focus hard on the bead and line up the blurs. Of course, being legally blind since 9 years old has given me time to practice. Middle aged fellas just now seeing what I have dealt with all these years need help to catch up.