OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Red Dot with magnification  (Read 2254 times)

Offline RailRoader

Red Dot with magnification
« on: April 21, 2018, 06:15:21 AM »
I’m thinking of getting a red dot with magnification. My eyes are starting to change as I get older. Does anyone use one?

Offline grayfox

• Longbeard
Re: Red Dot with magnification
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 09:49:31 PM »
Most red dots that hunters use for turkey hunting don't have any magnification that I'm aware of. I don't think you would want any magnification for that. My eyes won't focus on the regular sights anymore so I starting using red dots. Couldn't be happier since I changed. If you want magnification you might try a scope.

Offline land cruiser

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 09:53:56 PM »
You can get a scope with illuminated reticle and kill two birds. If you care to tell me your budget I could recommend something decent.

Offline RailRoader

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 12:58:42 PM »
I’d like to stay around $200. Not sure if that’s possible with a scope and illuminated reticle. I’d still have to get mounts.

Offline land cruiser

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 01:22:52 PM »
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/crossfire-II-3-9x50-with-v-brite-illuminated-moa-reticle

They can be found at 40% off, I think this may be your best bet at that price point

Offline RailRoader

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 02:32:30 PM »
Thanks Land. I haven’t seen that vortex. I’m a big fan of Vortex

Offline howl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 05:33:37 PM »
There are a couple dots that go to low mag. There are also magnifiers you put in line behind the dot. I don't think you need magnification. If you can see the turkey, you can superimpose a dot over the neck.

I have trouble picking turkeys out when they are in cover or in dappled shade. But if I can see them I have no trouble making the shot with just a bead. A red dot is almost cheating. I just focus hard on the bead and line up the blurs. Of course, being legally blind since 9 years old has given me time to practice. Middle aged fellas just now seeing what I have dealt with all these years need help to catch up.