OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Barrel Length  (Read 3528 times)

Offline walk2slow

Barrel Length
« on: April 20, 2018, 09:48:40 PM »
I have a question for all, does the barrel length have any effect on pattering.  I have a Mossberg 20 gauge batman with a 22 in. barrel, put a Carlson LB tube in in with WLB # 6 shot, it put 12 shot in a 10 in. circle at 40 yards no where near what I see other people are getting also tried a undertaker, have tried #5 also no better, was wondering if a 26in barrel would do better.
Walk2Slow

Offline Tom Foolery

• Longbeard
Re: Barrel Length
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 10:32:38 PM »
Are you shooting at a large piece of paper? 

The bulk of your pattern has to be off the paper if you aren't shooting at a 4'x4' sheet.

Offline walk2slow

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 08:40:51 AM »
No,  I'll  try a 4x4 sheet and see what it does, if it does better, say shooting off to one side or the other is the barrel bent or is the nature of the guns, choke or shells.  I just thought with that short of a barrel the power had not all burned and when it left the barrel the power still burning  then made the shot   spread out.     Thanks   
Walk2Slow

Offline Tom Foolery

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 12:39:13 PM »
Modern propellants burn within the first 2" or so of the barrel.

If it's off to one side or high/low that kind of the nature of the beast with shotguns.  None of mine hit to POA so I have Williams Slugger adjustable ghost rings on mine. 

Offline RemCrystal

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 12:03:06 PM »
I recently shot my mossberg same model with full choke constriction with longbeard 5s and Remington nitros 5s. At 25yds not impressed at all. So if you find something that works I would like to know. I also was shooting at a big target. The pattern was just really big and spread out.

Offline Sasha and Abby

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 12:26:16 PM »
It ain't the barrel.  I shoot a BPS with a 21.5 inch tube and it will SMOKE one at 50 yards with cheap Remington #" 5's.  I get great patterns with it.  It will shoot Win LB's even better.

My other turkey gun is al old SBE1 with a 24" tube...  consistently full patterns out to 55 yards. 

This said, I think you would be well advised to explore other load/choke combinations.

Offline Tom Foolery

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 05:27:30 PM »
I recently shot my mossberg same model with full choke constriction with longbeard 5s and Remington nitros 5s. At 25yds not impressed at all. So if you find something that works I would like to know. I also was shooting at a big target. The pattern was just really big and spread out.

I wouldn't expect a full choke to pattern lead very well.  The Remington Nitros are probably the worst turkey load made, them or the Hornadys.

I shoot a youth 870 with a 21" barrel and I'm solid to 50yds so it's ain't the barrel length.

Offline RemCrystal

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 07:24:57 PM »
I have really good patterns with my 870 also. So what’s a good choke tube to try with the mossberg

Offline walk2slow

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 11:34:01 AM »
Got me some cardboard that was 4x4ft. the Mossberg is shooting a foot to the left of my 10in. circle, dead on up and down, what a pattern it shoots with WLB #6 shot, but a foot left.  If I use this gun for turkey hunting I'll have to put a scope or some kind of a sight on it. It shot the WLB # 6 real good but not the # 5shot , the # 5 were scattered just a foot to the left also.  For now I'll use my other gun.  I am going check on the Williams ghost rings and see if I like them or go for a scope.
Walk2Slow

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 07:07:54 PM »
The only advantage of a longer barrel is velocity. I have a 22 inch barrel that patterns right with a 26 in the same gun
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline Spurs Up

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2018, 06:13:52 PM »
The only advantage of a longer barrel is velocity. I have a 22 inch barrel that patterns right with a 26 in the same gun

I’ve had similar experience. At the same time, I generally find that longer barrels are less “temperamental.”  They just seem to pattern more consistently with a wider range of choke designs and constrictions. 

For me, shorter barrels require more “tinkering” with choke and load combos.  But...once I find a satisfactory combination, the shorter barreled guns get the nod most days.