OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Nebraska Bird #2  (Read 2241 times)

Offline harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
Nebraska Bird #2
« on: April 20, 2018, 08:29:38 PM »
Cool overcast afternoon, set up on head of canyon opening to a dormant alfalfa field. Heard a shot soon after getting there and watched a couple of guys carry out a bird about 1/2 mile away. As I was watching I thought I heard a distant gobble in canyon to my direct right. Around 330 I had a lone hen come in a move right to left in front of me. I kept calling every 10-15 minutes and kept hearing the distant bird now sounding behind me. Around 445 as I ended a sequence I heard him gobble and realized he was close. I soft purred and cut lightly and almost instantly heard him drumming. Now I'm pinned down as I listened to him strut behind me. A hen appeared on my left and I got my gun in position to shoot that direction. Louder and louder the drumming came and I honestly thought he was gonna brush against where I was hidden coming in. Finally I saw him, 8 yards away in full strut looking for that noisy hen he had heard. As he walked in front of my gun I took the best shot I had and body shot him. He rolled up and I was standing on his neck before his hens realized what was going on. First time I've not tried to head/neck shoot a bird but at 8 yards any slight move of his head would have meant a miss. Great hunt/experience. Nebraska has worked hard this year to make up for my earlier frustrating efforts. Ready to head south and back to some warmth.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
Re: Nebraska Bird #2
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 11:24:36 PM »
ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! Nebraska has certainly been good to you this year.

Cheers!  ;D

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
Re: Nebraska Bird #2
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 01:58:17 PM »
Congrats on the great hunt and also a wise choice and a great tip to shoot for the body at such a close distance!