OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hard at work

Started by Sixes, April 20, 2018, 08:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixes

I work different shifts and today I started 3-11 for a 7 day period. The plant that I work at sits on about 1000 acres and is unhunted so we have lots of game on the property. We have security cameras everywhere and I set them to see some of the fields. I happened to see a hen so I panned the camera and spotted a strutter out in a field. I went to a corner of the plant where I could see him better and to mess with him.

I made a few cuts and yelps and heard him gobble. I then cut a couple of more times and heard some gobbling closer to me in a road heading to our lake. I made one more series of calls and heard several gobbles. I then saw the bird moving up the road and then another and another and so on. It ended up being a group of 8 toms. They could not figure out where the hen was way up on top of the hill from them.  I have to be back at 730 in the morning and maybe I can get a video when they are really fired up.

Here are a couple of pics and the last is a  video (if it works)

20180420_200211 by Tim Hillhouse, on Flickr

20180420_201030 by Tim Hillhouse, on Flickr

20180420_194623 by Tim Hillhouse, on Flickr

1iagobblergetter

I want your job if I can play with Turkey's on the property all day. Lol...Can you talk them into letting you hunt them on your noon hour? That's when you know you have a real job.. :you_rock:

Izzyjoe

I'm so jealous, you have a awesome job no matter what!

Sixes

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on April 20, 2018, 08:43:18 PM
I want your job if I can play with Turkey's on the property all day. Lol...Can you talk them into letting you hunt them on your noon hour? That's when you know you have a real job.. :you_rock:

I've tried to talk them into it for the last 19 years. We have some big deer too and a lot of deer on the property. It's common to see groups of deer in the 30's late in the evenings and to see groups of turkeys from 75-100 during January/February. For some reason, every turkey around here seems to congregate here in the winter.

One positive thing is we are closer than we have ever been to being allowed to bowhunt the property. Other plants allow bowhunting for employee only and since we merged with a much larger utility company, we are pushing for the same benefit.  Best part is, there are only 2 (me and one other) serious deer hunters (a couple of more might would try it a couple of times) and I am the only turkey hunter. Bowhunting turkeys would be different, but I'm sure I could adapt

Here are a few bucks at the plant. These are GA deer.

20161210_210145 by Tim Hillhouse, on Flickr

20180109_194251 by Tim Hillhouse, on Flickr

20161104_014018 by Tim Hillhouse, on Flickr

Sixes

Quote from: Izzyjoe on April 20, 2018, 08:46:43 PM
I'm so jealous, you have a awesome job no matter what!

It's a tough job, but someone has to do it ;D

There are probably not many jobs out there that let you watch a 75" TV with satellite while on shift, wear sweat pants to work and make good money on top of all that. It must be why no one ever leaves here.

1iagobblergetter

Those must be Iowa transplanted deer ...Lol...if the Bowhunting deal goes through send me an application and put a good word in for me...I don't care how much they pay either.. :turkey2:

Sixes