OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Strange end to my NC spring season

Started by RS, April 23, 2018, 12:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RS

Filled my 2nd tag yesterday, but in a way I would have never thought.  Saw a gobbler in a winter wheat field Sat. evening.  Couldn't get him to come in and something about the way he was acting didn't appear quite right.  Yesterday morning I went back to the same field and basically ended up walking right up on him.  After I killed him I saw that he had growths/tumors all over his head and was apparently blind in his right eye.  Also, he looked to be emaciated and probably only weighed 12 pounds max

zelmo1

Have that checked out bro, I wouldn't eat it

Marc

I would not eat that bird either...  It would probably be safe if cooked correctly, but I would not take the risk.

I might consider bringing in the bird (or at least the head) to the local DFG and see if they are interested in examining it...

Looks like you did that bird a favor, and it likely did not have long to live...  And the life it had left was likely one of suffering... 
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

RS

Got a call back from the NC regional biologist about the gobbler I killed yesterday. He stated that it sounded like either avian pox or LPDV. An analysis of the carcass would have been needed to determine which of the two it was. Either way he said it is not expected to be dangerous to humans. Evidently there's currently nothing that can be done about it. However, it isn't know to be detrimental to the over population.

daddyduke

Congrats! I guess? Wonder if he could have been shot early from too far?
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.