turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg 500 choke recommendation

Started by outdoorsmen, April 19, 2018, 05:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

outdoorsmen

Just picked up a well beat up 500 that will be my rainy day gun. I guess I'll try longbeards #5 but need advise on a choke. Should i just get the carlsons?

Divenut2

I have had good luck with a Carlson's Extra Full, flush fit tube on my low-buck 20" Mossy 500 12ga. Patterns well out to 30 + yards. That said, I hunt woods/wetlands so shot rarely exceed 25-30 yards if that.

Love fishing and Deer hunting (Shotgun, Muzzleloader & Pistol). Recently became addicted to Turkey Hunting.

coyote1

Mine shoots really good with a hevi 13 choke .662 with the same shell. 1 3/4 oz and 1 7/8 oz both pattern well.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: outdoorsmen on April 19, 2018, 05:18:45 PM
Just picked up a well beat up 500 that will be my rainy day gun. I guess I'll try longbeards #5 but need advise on a choke. Should i just get the carlsons?
A choke that does a really good job with that gun & shell, is the often overlooked GSX. It has an e.d. of .665 and throws a great pattern. It's also a very strong choke tube.
Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Izzyjoe

My buddy uses a flush full in his 500 with #6 long beards, and it patterns great at 30yds, we have never sot it any farther cause that were he feels comfortable at. Mossberg pattern well with a variety of chokes and loads, so you shouldn't have any problems.

knightrider

Bamalimbhanger

I have a 500 I bought in 98 and shoot a trulock 660 in it ... it put a129#4's in a 10" circle it also had 216 #6's in a 10 circle .... that was with the 3" longbeards

iamjimmychew

I'm running the Mossy 500 with the Mossberg X-Factor (XX Full) turkey choke.  Evidently that's not a widely popular choke for a variety of reasons.  I'm all about giving a chance to another choke to compare--although the season starts just 5 days from this post.

Sounds like the Hevi 13 is pretty frequently recommended.  Anyone have specs, links, or literature on another contender?  I'll compare it to the X-Factor and take photos for comparison.

Cheers,
Jimmy

Edit: Just ordered a Carlson Longbeard XR (.660) I'll do some comparisons with that and the X-Factor
bratya po oruzhiyu

lowoctane

Hey! Just posted my results shooting LB 3x5 thru a Star Dot @ 40yds.
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

SumToy

Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

trkehunr93

Kicks GT, I can't remember if mines .655 or .660 but it patterns Win XX 3" 5's quite well.