OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Optics on a shotgun???  (Read 6664 times)

Offline SteelerFan

• Double Beard
Re: Optics on a shotgun???
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2018, 09:26:58 PM »
That's why I went with the truglo gobblestopper. I had one bust me because of the reflection once and won't use an exposed glass again.

I went with the truglo gobblestopper also last year. First optic in, well, ever (35? yrs of spring seasons). Absolutely LOVE it. With the pistol grip and optic - the shotgun becomes an aimed shotgun vs. a pointed one. For me, that just made sense.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 05:27:52 AM by SteelerFan »

Offline Deast1988

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2018, 09:57:19 PM »
I used a bead for 10years, a red dot for 4yrs. Last year I went to a scoped gun. This year I replace both my red dots with scopes. No battery’s weather is minimal issues. And I put cross on waddles and pull the trigger. MoA and red dot reference gave me some issues I just felt more natural with a scope from years of deer hunting. It was tricky to dial one in because I used an odd ball scope that was in MiLs on a turkey rig and o far it’s done great. Leupold Mark AR 1.25x4 not ideal but on a 20ga from testing patterning it hasn’t even flinched after 30/40rds through it.

Offline turkaholic

• live to hunt hunt to live
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2018, 06:12:06 AM »
I have considered scoped guns but that added bulk and weight has keep me from doing it. I use a Truglo magnum gobble dot and love it. Never have to worry about rain and fog and not enough light to see. It is fully adjustable stream line and weighs nothing.
live to hunt hunt to live

Offline Twowithone

• Longbeard
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2018, 07:03:57 AM »
I went with Simmons Pro Diamond 20 plus yrs ago and havent looked back. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Offline Natty Bumpo

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2018, 07:21:46 AM »
I have a Leupold Turkey Ranger on the 20 GA. Low power (2.5X), bright field and precise aim for the very center of the pattern. Helpful in estimating range too, in the heat of the moment. It weighs nothing, small and compact.

Offline 2eagles

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2018, 08:45:03 AM »
I'm a 30 yard or less turkey hunter. Don't use optics, just a long snap onto the rib fiber bead. Quit using 3 1/2 inch magnums. Don't even use my turkey choke because I found it patterns too tight at closer range.
Scopes are fine for some, just as are blinds and decoys. Keep it legal, keep it fun. Isn't that why we hunt?

Offline Cut N Run

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • North Carolina
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2018, 10:34:12 AM »
I hunt with a Burris Fast Fire II on a Speed Bead mount on my SBE II because it does not affect the balance of the gun and it is incredibly accurate.  I haven't missed a turkey since I added it to the gun.  Even though I've never shot a gobbler beyond 36 yards, I know whatever I settle that bead on is going to catch the meat of the pattern every time.  My eyes aren't getting any younger either.  I can also still use the beads through the sight if it's not turned on or if the battery ever fails (which hasn't happened yet). Win/Win in my book.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline coonhunter

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2018, 10:35:48 AM »
I have a luepold 2-7 on my 870.  I have had a scope for the bast 15 years on my shotgun and could not imagine not using one. 
Joshua 24:15

Offline Sixes

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2018, 10:40:00 AM »
FF3 on my Benelli and I will not ever go back to a bead. I feel like I can aim quicker with the red dot than trying to line up 2 beads. Shooting thru an optic is second nature to me and I've never had an issue finding the target with the dot.  Just put the dot on the neck and it is a dead bird

FANMAN

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2018, 10:48:58 AM »
As I have aged my vision has changed,and not for the better. Since being put on a progressive lens I can no longer focus on the sights and the bird at the same time.Just as a experiment I took the red dot off my AR and mounted it on my 11-87,5 shots to adjust poi and I am a believer,I can now see the red dot/poi and the turkey clearly at the same time.Ive always felt I owed the turkey my best,although I have yet to shoot this setup at a turkey,this is the best I've given to ol Tom in several years.Very glad to have the Vortex Sparc AR on my turkey gun!

Offline Dr Juice

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2018, 01:42:34 PM »
I have a scope on both of my turkey slaying weapons and have never looked back. I will not go back to a bead since I'm accustomed to the 'diamond of death' in my optics. Best of luck to you.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2018, 02:39:25 PM »
My eyes are getting worse and if I want to keep hunting them I am going to have to get optics in the next 5 years.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline dublelung

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2018, 02:49:38 PM »
Tru Glo Red/Green dot for me and I really like it. I originally started using it because my poa and poi wasn't the same and when I went with a Shur Shot stock and put my cheek down it would rattle my teeth. The red dot allowed me to dial in my aim, as well as, pick my cheek up off the stock. My confidence soared with it and I've only missed one turkey out of the past several seasons with it (too close). The only disadvantage I see to using it is if you forget to turn it on and don't have the reverence dot to go off of when aiming. I regularly check to make sure it's on and also keep a spare battery in my vest in case it ever dims or goes out on me. (It never has)
Anything you can do to improve your confidence with a particular set up is a win win situation.

The 3 birds I killed in MS this year I used a single barrel with a fiber optic bead. The poi was good on it and the bead was plenty visible in low light. It all comes down to personal preference and confidence.

Offline TURKEYWHACKER

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2018, 03:56:38 PM »
 After years of the 3 dot fiber optics, I made the switch last season to a 1.5-4.5 scope. Love it  :you_rock:

Offline Maineiac

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2018, 10:56:32 AM »
I’ve got a vortex venom on my Beretta. I like it overall and feel like the positives outweigh the negatives. I like it because I can see the entire bird when I shoot, because if the dot is on my target it is going to hit, and because target acquisition is easy. The negative on my gun is that it is mounted quite high (factory supplied mount) and my cheek weld feels wrong. If I could find a lower height mount in be 100% positive.

I’ve shot beads on my mossberg 500 and never had a problem except that the gun wouldn’t shoot point of aim, I always had to compensate, sometimes I’d forget. My Thompson uses open sights but, like a previous poster said those sights were bad.  With all the adjustment used up I still shoot 8” high at 40.  The red dot is much more adjustable, I can finally point at the spot I want to shoot and it feels nice to do that.