OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: DIY Turkey Tote  (Read 3918 times)

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
DIY Turkey Tote
« on: April 19, 2018, 04:45:39 PM »
Saw a leather turkey tote on Facebook that a guy had made out of a belt.  Went to a thrift shop during lunch and found an old belt for $1.  Pretty cheap thrill and really easy to make!  Approx. 40" long X 1" move in about 1 3/4" and make a 3 1/2" slit repeat on other end and bam, you got yourself a turkey tote!

Offline SD_smith

Re: DIY Turkey Tote
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 06:39:49 PM »
been thinking about making one since my hunt last weekend in the hills. sucks carrying a 20lb bird out over 100-200 ft climbs x2. I've heard it makes them seem somewhat lighter on the shoulder

Offline countryboy3006

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 02:22:43 PM »
I found the Primos turkey tote on sale for $5 one day so I figured what the heck Ill try it.  I used it on the bird I got this year and it makes a huge difference if you have to carry a bird very far to get it our. The wide strap made it was much easier on my shoulder.

Offline dublelung

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 02:51:29 PM »
You can't get much more simple than that.

Offline daddyduke

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 04:23:36 PM »
I have always carried my turkey in the back of my vest. Plastic bag over head and feet tucked under strap. Never had a problem.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 04:54:10 PM »
been thinking about making one since my hunt last weekend in the hills. sucks carrying a 20lb bird out over 100-200 ft climbs x2. I've heard it makes them seem somewhat lighter on the shoulder
As a short guy a turkey in the game bag of the vest hangs way too low to be comfortable. The first time I had to haul bird 2miles it was rough got a tote and has made that same walk out much easier.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline saltysenior

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 08:34:59 AM »

under certain conditions of the ground on the way back,I found it much easier to drag the bird out head first.. no harm to the fan if tied closed....almost necessary when you reach 70....

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 09:21:51 AM »

under certain conditions of the ground on the way back,I found it much easier to drag the bird out head first.. no harm to the fan if tied closed....almost necessary when you reach 70....
Also pre -plucked by the time you get him back to the truck. Its a win win... :you_rock:

Offline roverboy

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 10:59:18 PM »
I have always carried my turkey in the back of my vest. Plastic bag over head and feet tucked under strap. Never had a problem.
That's what I do too. Works for me.
Listen for the gobble

Offline kjnengr

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 09:45:48 AM »
Nice Job there Bugman. 

This year I purchased a Deluxe Turkey tote from Capt. Hooks/EZ Outdoors.  Having a tote makes it much easier to haul a bird if walking anything more than just a short walk.  I had to haul two birds out on my last hunt of my out of state trip and having the tote was a lifesaver.