OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: double team  (Read 4977 times)

Offline G squared 23

Re: double team
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2019, 11:54:55 PM »
I’m not a big fan as no one I hunt with is patient enough.  We always would quit by 9:30 at the latest, and my success rate has gone way up if I can hold out until the end of legal shooting time.

Offline turkaholic

• live to hunt hunt to live
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2019, 07:08:40 AM »
As others have mentioned, keeping the shooter 50 yards or so in front of the caller and not calling brings the bird into shooting range. This has worked countless times when wary gobblers hang up looking for the hen. The lead hunter is silent so unsuspecting bird get right up close. You will need some patience but it works well.
live to hunt hunt to live

Offline zsully

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2019, 10:32:57 AM »
I have one friend that I would rather hunt with then hunt alone. Goes for turkey, deer squirrels whatever. We’ve been hunting together for probably 10 years. Our styles have developed to be so similar that we just know what the other one is going to do in a situation before it actually happens. That non-verbal communication that was mentioned earlier just happens with a look and a nod. I’d venture to say that we would both kill birds solo but man it’s so much more fun when you can share it with somebody. You do have to make sure you and your buddy value each other’s success as much as you value your own. The majority of the time we are telling stories it starts with, “remember when we blew the set up at......” or “remember when we killed that bird at ......”. It takes some time to develop that kind of hunting relationship but I definitely think it’s worth it.