OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Tips for estimating distance?  (Read 9105 times)

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Tips for estimating distance?
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2019, 10:10:44 PM »
Range finders work well for me. But many times when running and gunning there may not be time to range a bird so the skill of estimating is very useful. Additionally some may have physical issues that make one or the other method useful.

Personally I only use my range finder when hunting fields as distance is much more difficult to judge and some times I will set a decoy at a know range to help judge.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline catman529

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Run 'n Gunner
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2019, 10:59:53 AM »
My gun doesn’t pattern too dense, I’m not a good shot, and I like my birds close. The only time I really misjudge is in a wide open field which I don’t usually end up getting a shot in a field anyway. In the woods it’s not hard to guess under 40 yards. If you don’t use a rangefinder (I don’t) and are not sure what 20-40 yards looks like then practice by stepping off the distance from a few different trees and look at the surroundings and try to get a feel for what the distance looks like using your depth perception. Not sure if that makes any sense, but guessing range is really just getting a feel for it more than actually trying to calculate anything.

Just remember if you think it might be too far, or your just not sure, then don’t shoot. When that bird is close enough you will be 100% confident he is close enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Crghss

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2019, 07:21:02 PM »
I put sticks at 40 yds and my decoys 20 - 30 yds. I have a rangefinder but never carry it, just feels like I carry so much stuff turkey hunting. Find it just as easy to step it off.

From archery hunting and playing golf years ago I think I have a good judgment of distance. I like placing distance markers because it’s one less thing to think about and eliminates human error when that gobbler comes in.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Offline spaightlabs

• Longbeard
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2019, 07:52:49 PM »
I mis-spent a lot of years playing a lot of golf.  I can estimate 30 to 60 yards within a yard every time.  You guys should take up golf, it'll help you pass the time from June 1 until your next season opens, and it's a cheap hobby that doesn't take up too much time....
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 08:59:22 AM by spaightlabs »

Offline Kylongspur88

• Longbeard
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2019, 09:20:51 PM »
I don't guess anymore.

I carry my rangefinder.  When I setup, I quickly zap several distinct trees or other objects in my anticipated kill zone and remember how far they were.

Pretty easy.  Pretty quick.  Pretty effective.

Same here. Distance to a bird can be pretty deceptive. When I sit down I just hit 3 or 4 objects and done.

Offline turkaholic

• live to hunt hunt to live
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2019, 07:58:07 AM »
I use my heart rate as a range finder. When it starts to pound so hard I start shaking he is close enough.
live to hunt hunt to live