OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Wisconsin reports...  (Read 1252 times)

Offline wdog

Wisconsin reports...
« on: April 19, 2018, 12:30:18 AM »
I tip my hats off to you guys and gals who have first season and braved the weather. I saw some strutters in the snow storm this morning. Post your reports here.  I have tags for season B-F in zones 1,2 and 3. Good luck and be safe y'all.

Offline Divenut2

Re: Wisconsin reports...
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 07:52:09 AM »
I'll be putting on my snowshoes and pulling my trailcams tomorrow morning. I'm in Door County (Egg Harbor) and will post up any activity. Only have 2 tags this year, unfortunately I'm not hunting until the week of May 16th. Ay least the snow should be melted by then LOL! Will be interesting to see how the 31" of snow will affect the season.

Good luck folks
Love fishing and Deer hunting (Shotgun, Muzzleloader & Pistol). Recently became addicted to Turkey Hunting.

Offline The wanderer

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 08:23:44 AM »
 I’ve got seasons A, E, and F in zone 2. Also, 2 season D zone 1 tags. I’m planning on taking my 4 year old Saturday morning for his very first hunt of any kind. Not sure how it’s gonna work getting him out of bed so early, but gonna try. We don’t have nearly as much snow here in kenosha county as the rest of the state. Only 2-3” on the ground here, and most (if not all) will be gone by Saturday. Supposed to be sunny and in the fifties starting Friday. Saturday should be nice too. 29 in the morning, but if it’s calm I think the birds will be on fire after the recent weather we’ve had. Good luck to all.

Offline Divenut2

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 10:32:55 AM »
Pulled the cams here in Egg Harbor. Fair amount of activity from March 31 until the big 31" snow fall last weekend. Hens, lots of Jakes and couple longbeards. Mainly foraging, not much strutting at all.Since Sunday they've been scarce couple solitary hens all week. Was up before sunrise no gobbling at all. Walked the property from 7 to 9am no gobbling or any other chatter. Thank God for snow shoes! Will see if the things perk up as temps rise.

Happy hunting folks
Love fishing and Deer hunting (Shotgun, Muzzleloader & Pistol). Recently became addicted to Turkey Hunting.

Offline model94

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 12:03:19 AM »
I have Periods C,D,E in zone 3. We had 16 inches in Black River Falls,  but it is melting fast.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 02:16:49 PM by model94 »

Offline ejhandler

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 10:05:29 AM »
Outagamie county, 31" of fresh snow from the weekend...

Wednesday morning, two toms hammering non-stop since 5 am, hens came off the roost first and flew down to right under two toms at 6am.  (Last two mornings hens stayed in the trees til 9am, toms were on the ground around 6).  Hens lead toms off to feed on wind swept exposed ground.  Got oléd by said two toms later in the morning so tried to cut them off. Thigh deep snow made this 10x harder than it needed to be. Snuck to within 35 yards, just no clear shot so I let them walk for the next day.

I adjusted my location for Thursday morning, birds roosted a little further away but still took the same line to exposed grounds to feed, only this time I was waiting for them with the 20 gauge and an oz. of hevi-13's.

Snow was a challenge to walk in but I believe it really helped in concentrating and patterning birds. I continued to scout the next two mornings and birds definitely broke up and began to spread out with the warming temps and melting snow, finally starting to think about nesting again versus surviving.  Night and day difference between how vocal birds, especially hens, were on Friday compared to Wednesday.

With the 3 other guys I hunt with, all four period A tags were filled by Friday.  I have week C and D tags left, thinking of buying one or two more based on the amount of toms I have been seeing in the areas I can hunt.

Offline wdog

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 10:08:43 AM »
Congrats man! How did you like the new blind? I plan on taking mine out with my son come Wednesday.

Offline ejhandler

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 10:43:43 AM »
Congrats man! How did you like the new blind? I plan on taking mine out with my son come Wednesday.

I hunt solo quite a bit and set-up/take-down the blind daily when I use one, so I bought this blind for the longer walks I have in an effort to save weight.  Only 6 lbs, weighs less than the Alps chair that came with it.  Only downfall so far... I use my waterfowl guns for turkey duty, so the 26" and 28" barrels with ext chokes are just a tad long to swing completely inside the blind, but a 24" barrel might work when seated all the way to the rear.

Have you sat in it with your son yet?  Perfect size for one man; it might be tight but I could see it working with an adult and youth. 

Offline Divenut2

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 12:37:18 PM »
Nice Job Ej!

Offline The wanderer

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 03:06:02 PM »
Put my tag on a two year bird Saturday morning at 6:30 am in kenosha county. Birds were spread out. Only had one gobbling in the normal roosting spot. The Tom I shot and a lone were both in different woods roosted. Worked out well as I was in the middle of it. He saw the strutter decoy from 200 yds out and came in hot. I’ve never had a Tom actually work into the decoys before. It was pretty cool. Great weather. 31 degrees with no wind.

Offline wdog

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 07:19:17 PM »

I hunt solo quite a bit and set-up/take-down the blind daily when I use one, so I bought this blind for the longer walks I have in an effort to save weight.  Only 6 lbs, weighs less than the Alps chair that came with it.  Only downfall so far... I use my waterfowl guns for turkey duty, so the 26" and 28" barrels with ext chokes are just a tad long to swing completely inside the blind, but a 24" barrel might work when seated all the way to the rear.

Have you sat in it with your son yet?  Perfect size for one man; it might be tight but I could see it working with an adult and youth.

He will be 4 in June. So just a little guy, yeah we tried it out a few weeks ago. It's perfect.

Offline ejhandler

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 08:28:14 AM »

He will be 4 in June. So just a little guy, yeah we tried it out a few weeks ago. It's perfect.

Awesome!  Hope it works out for you tomorrow while your son is along!  I'm sure the memories will be made regardless of the outcome!