North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Met up with a monarch This morning

Started by Captain Hooks, April 18, 2018, 10:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Hooks

Met up with a Monarch Today

Today I had some  luck on my side. 
I had 3 clients this morning and was finished by 8 with a gap of 4 hours to go play in the woods.  My last client was near the property and I had a gut feeling to go check it out. I was going to scope the woods and then if i did see any birds near the property I  was going to hit a public piece close by.
I drive down the gravel road looking everywhere hoping to see a black bird in the bare woods. Get the end and I see movement about 150 yards in the woods. Throw up the binos and see a Jake all puffed on a knoll where they can see for days. Watched him for a bit hoping to catch  a long beard near by. The next scene I see a fan walking up the hill and it's him. He's with the two Jake's and it seems like there is not a hen in sight. I watched them for about 15 minutes until they walked down the hill towards a bluff that butts up to the large bodie of water. When they were out of site I knew this was my time to make a move. I grabbed my vest, my single shot and headed up to where I saw them strutting.
I had this idea that I'd take my time and walk up the hill Scratching the leaves here and there. Did a couple light purrs and clucks with my slate call from John Sinclair custom calls. When I was almost at the top of the knoll I decided to do some Jake yelps thinking that might tick them off.
I slowly sneak to the top and I can't see them so I sit down I get settled. I wait for about 10 minutes I decided do a couple cuts and light yelps with my slate call and he cuts me off. I cut back at him and cuts me off again lay my call down And got ready. The way I was looking I could only see 20 yards front of me Because the hillsloped down and I knew that he could not see me either and hopefully they would get curious.  About 5 minutes past and I Jake yelped  again And this time The Jake's gobbled and they were probably right below me less than 50 yards. The leaves are dry enough that I could hear them walking and they headed right to me. What felt for forever was  probably only a couple minutes up pops two colorful heads two my left of my barrel. I didn't budge and their heads disappeared and I could hear movement to my right and here he came in full strut up the hill. Luckily I could not see the other two birds and I could just see the full fan. I turned my gun to the fan and right when he popped over the hill I shot him right after he did a full stretch trying to look for me. Big bird down!!!

~Paul~

MDbowman

derek

Absolute Hammer!  Congrats again Paul
www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com