turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Eggshells 2018 Hunt thread Update and end of hunting report/w crazy story

Started by eggshell, April 18, 2018, 07:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eggshell

Boy what a dud of an opening day here in Ohio. Birds Gobbled a couple times on the roost then went quiet. I know I was around birds, but I could not make one gobble. I saw some hens wandering around and spooked one off a nest. I hate that, but she was right along a trail I was walking. She had six eggs. I will give the nest a wide birth the rest of season and hope she comes back. I never worked a bird at all today, that is a rare thing for opening day. Actually I have only failed to tag a bird on opening day once in the last five years.  I guess I could have actually filled a tag, but jakes are not on the menu yet.....I let 8 jakes walk this morning. They just came walking up over a bank right at me, I guess they were coming to my call, but they never said a peep. I just pointed my finger at them and said BANG!

eggshell

Well I am finally tagged out in my home state of Ohio - it has been a crazy season. I killed one in Ky and had my safety freeze on what would have been my second. Here in Ohio it was rough as birds where very sporadic in the early season. I still carried the little Pederson O/U for the first week and had to let 3 birds walk off at 40-45 yards, becuase my effective range is 35 yards with that gun. So much for playing with a pop-gun. I had a buddy with me on one  and he shot one of the birds. I started carrying the regular turkey gun the second week. Everything stupid that could happen did happen. I finally killed a nice bird on the second Saturday. I took a few days off and went fishing up on lake Erie then came home and had a chance to work several birds, but they were being difficult.

Now for the crazy story: This morning I went to the family farm where I had watched birds in a field the last two days. They gave me the slip early so I pulled out plotting for tomorrow. I came home and started to get ready to hook up the brush hog and mow when a bee buzzed my head and and I swung at it with my hat and slammed my hand into a piece of metal. After cleaning it up I had a hole in my hand you could see directly to a tendon in.  So off to the doctors office and five stitches later I'm on my way home. I meet the Mrs. on the road and she flags me down and says there is a gobbler in our field. So I pull in the lane and look in the field and sure enough there's a gobbler just tooling around. So I rush up to the house and grab the gun and call and sneak down the fence row until I'm about 100-150 yards from the gobbler and While thinking, "this is stupid I'll never get this gobbler to come" I throw one series at him  and here he comes on a string. I am standing by a tree with no face mask or gloves (which in my haste I did not grab) and this idiot bird marches up to within 25 yards of me. Bang, he is removed from the gene pool and I am tagged out ! What a crazy season.

Happy

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

eggshell

Oh I forgot to mention I saw a hen with a brood of chicks this morning, I hope they all make it

owlhoot

Congrats on a great crazy season.
That's why you gotta love turkey season, you never know what is going to happen next.

tomstopper