turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Eggshells 2018 Hunt thread Update and end of hunting report/w crazy story

Started by eggshell, April 18, 2018, 07:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eggshell

Well I spent the last four days of foul weather in the Great State of Kentucky. We had one decent day of hunting and three of rain, snow and cold. The birds were somewhat vocal, but the woods got silent by 9:00AM. We did not even hunt evenings because of the weather. I manged to kill one gobbler and I should have filled my second tag, but something happened I have never experienced in the spring woods. MY SAFETY FROZE!!!! No kidding it rained, turned to snow and dropped to 29 degrees and in all that I was lucky enough to call in a long beard and when I went to shoot.....my safety was frozen on. I could not move it at all, I sat and watched the bird walk away. I thought I had experienced everything, but that was a new one. I have an old over and under Pederson that I always wanted to kill a gobbler with so I took it. It is only 2 3/4 chamber and Mod by full chokes, but patterns well. It was the top mounted safety that froze. I killed the one bird at 10-15 yards and the old gun done very well. The other bird was ~30 yards.

I did not have a scale nor did I measure the beard or spurs....it was a nice gobbler and worked well, that is all that mattered to me, next he'll eat well too.

Our season in Ohio opens Monday. So I'll scout the next couple days. I'd like to get another day in Ky to. I'm only a couple hours from my hunting spot there.

zelmo1

marshboy

Congrats on the gobbler!!
I once had my safety freeze while pheasant hunting, while it was icing.  That was painful, but no where near as painful as having it happen in the turkey woods!!
Greg

Happy

Don't feel bad. Two years ago I tried to shoot one with the safety still on. It didn't turn out well...

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Cut N Run

Congratulations on a successful hunt, Dana.  Good luck in Ohio!  I hope you won't have to deal with a frozen safety any more this season.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Sir-diealot

Congratulations. I fear that (Something freezing) happening this year in NY it was snowing today even.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

TJK68

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

shoer2

SteelerFan

Nice one... and that is quite the predicament!

tomstopper

Looks like a nice one. Congrats and good luck in Ohio

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

dublelung

That's got to suck BAD about the safety. Congrats on the one you did get.

eggshell

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!