OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Virginia update  (Read 2362 times)

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
Virginia update
« on: April 18, 2018, 11:43:02 AM »
First day I’ve been out since Saturday, birds started gobbling around 6:20 and the other hunters started owl hooting about the same time :).  Heard 3 birds across the road from me and was thinking just my luck, limited time this morning and I pick the wrong side of the road.  Around 6:50-7am I decided to break out my wing bone and call some since my side was quiet and a bird gobbled, wasn’t sure if it was close so I called again and it gobbled in a hollow to my right.  I thought so you were tight lipped on the roost, let’s see whatcha wanna do?  Eased over to an oak that would have put him in shotgun range if he popped up in front of me and called on my crystal, he gobbled again.  Called again and a few seconds later he gobbled again and was closer so as you all know gun to your shoulder.  I finally hear something walking and I catch a glimpse about 50-60 yards above and the joker walked straight above me and proceeded to gobble at some crows and kept going.  Got him to gobble one more time and a few minutes later he gobbled again but he had already crossed the boundary line.  Sometimes I wonder why turkeys do what they do?  Oh well, spied a strutter in a field across the road on my way home, second time this week I’ve seen him there so laying a plan for Friday AM. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
Re: Virginia update
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 12:18:01 PM »
Sounds like an exciting hunt.

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 07:30:48 AM »
Glad your in the action.  Will be glued to the board Friday!
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Online Terry

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 07:42:59 AM »
Good luck this weekend!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 08:54:10 PM »
Well this weekend sucked!  Friday AM, nothing and Saturday AM only heard one gobble at 6:48 but he was way on someone else’s property.  Maybe heard another bird a little after seven but it was as if they all just vanished.  I changed places around 8am and went and set up in the same field from opening day but all I got into were several good naps.  The property next to where I was first thing Sat. has a big pasture and there was a group of gobblers and hens in the middle of it but unfortunately I cannot hunt it.  By the way the crow flies they were probably 150-200 yards from the boundary but several hollows have to be crossed for them to come that way.  Gonna try that area in the morning, had good luck there before.

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 09:01:37 PM »
Keep on them Jim! Just a matter of time!

“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer