OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Kicks Gobblin Thunder

Started by RailRoader, April 17, 2018, 09:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RailRoader

I bought a Kicks Gobblin Thunder from a friend last week. It's a .640 for my SBE1. Anyone shoot one of these or thoughts on ammo?

TJK68

I have a couple of those chokes mine are .655, I shoot Longbeard 3" 1 7/8oz in mine. One in a Benelli and one in an 870.

Sasha and Abby

there is a reason he sold the .640

scdxt

.650-.655 is where its at in those benelli barrels. .640 is awful tight and will blow most patterns even 7s. Thats a card shooter choke. Be careful with anything like 4s or 5s in that could swell it

the Ward

Quote from: scdxt on February 22, 2019, 08:31:16 PM
.650-.655 is where its at in those benelli barrels. .640 is awful tight and will blow most patterns even 7s. Thats a card shooter choke. Be careful with anything like 4s or 5s in that could swell it
[/quote       ^ this ^   Kicks lists the .640 as a "card shoot" choke on their website. Railroader, i would contact Kicks and see what ammo would be safe to shoot through it. Most card shooter/ turkey shoot chokes are made for patterning low brass #9s target loads usually.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: the Ward on February 23, 2019, 03:43:57 PM
Quote from: scdxt on February 22, 2019, 08:31:16 PM
[/quote       ^ this ^   Kicks lists the .640 as a "card shoot" choke on their website. Railroader, i would contact Kicks and see what ammo would be safe to shoot through it. Most card shooter/ turkey shoot chokes are made for patterning low brass #9s target loads usually.
The original post is from 10 months ago,but agree with possible swelling shooting the.640 ...I tried a truglo .643 in mine and had a heck of a time getting it screwed back out of the barrel. Pattern was dang good,but not worth chancing ruining a barrel or even worse.

RailRoader

I haven't tried it yet. Probably won't shoot it. The guy I bought it from doesn't turkey hunt much and doesn't pattern his guns. He just wanted to got rid of it. Thanks for the advice on swelling a barrel, I hadn't thought about that.