OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: The "Jake Yelp" killed this bird (I think)  (Read 2205 times)

Offline POk3s

The "Jake Yelp" killed this bird (I think)
« on: April 17, 2018, 01:35:11 PM »
After watching the videos by "the hunting public" I realized there is a "jake yelp". I had never even known that before. To make a long story short (and it's already a long story in the "general forum" I called in a flock. The hens made their way to my side of the fence and around my decoys but the strutter got stuck over on the private property side of the fence. The hens had already been in and around my decoys by the time the strutter figured his way through the fence, so they were back to feeding and lost interest, heading away from me. When I noticed the gobbler made his way through the fence I jake yelled to which he gobbled back and came into 25 yards but I was blocked by a tree. I repositioned and killed him.

I was proud of myself for employing a new tactic and having instant results with it. I didn't think the hen yelps would work and the fact that I brought the strutter around to the other side of his hens so I could kill him made me think the jake help is what sealed the deal. Thoughts? Discussions? I had already attempted the jake yelp on him and he answered it every single time. Initially I wanted him to get mad enough that this guy was stealing his hens that he would fly the fence. That was my thought process anyway.

Original story is here http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,82243.0.html

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
Re: The "Jake Yelp" killed this bird (I think)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 01:53:28 PM »
It's a deadly call for sure.

I like to paint a picture with a buddy where we both sound like two hens talking back and forth we answer each other but not the toms gobbles and I will toss some Jake yelps or even a gobble in to give the illusion that we already have company. Sounding not interested can be as deadly as interested in many situations.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline bobk

• In Memorial
  • Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 02:15:32 PM »
A jake yelp is a very effective  call. It has produced for me.

Offline Cottonmouth

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 09:17:21 AM »
The best bird I ever killed was with a jake yelp. I had been watching a big gobbler with a group of hens and 1 jake tagging along. I noticed every time the jake yelped, the longbeard would come chase him off. I had never tried it before but when I did it, you could almost see the steam coming out of his ears when he came to me.

Offline POk3s

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 02:13:51 PM »
The best bird I ever killed was with a jake yelp. I had been watching a big gobbler with a group of hens and 1 jake tagging along. I noticed every time the jake yelped, the longbeard would come chase him off. I had never tried it before but when I did it, you could almost see the steam coming out of his ears when he came to me.

Hahahaha! Very cool! I heard more gobbles back in the woods that morning but never saw any jakes. Your story makes me think he had been doing the same that week.